1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gay because of society" ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by orangeyskies, Mar 10, 2013.

1. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad thinks the reason I'm gay is because it is "glorified" by society and it's "always on the shows you watch." I don't even know how to respond to that statement. :tantrum: :eusa_doh:

I guess he doesn't realize how hard it is to come out to family and friends or feel like a disappointment. Or feel lonely because there aren't many people like you.

2. Respond with "show me where that society is, so I can take bus there"

3. Kay

Kay Guest

I think he has missed the boat on this one. Hugs and know yu are loved and understood here. Kisses

4. Ianthe

Did you try explaining to him that you like to watch shows with gay people on them because you are gay, and not the other way around?

If he noticed that an Asian person liked to watch shows with Asian people in them, would he conclude that the television shows had made the person Asian?

Being gay is NOT glorified by society, that's ridiculous. For the most part, it is still discriminated against by society.

5. BudderMC

^ precisely. If anything, you'd be "straight because of society".

6. Ridiculous

That's what I was going to say. I'm sure you see many more straight people in those shows than gay people - by his logic that should make you straight.

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How is being gay glorified? The only time I see gay people on TV is either when they're crying or being made fun of... He's probably just upset about the situation. A lot of dads especially don't want to believe that their sons are gay because they feel like they've lost a son and bonding experiences over dating and sex and manly things (not saying gay people aren't or can't be manly that's just the stereotype society has given). He can't really have those things with you anymore because he doesn't understand and may not want to. Give him time and I'm sure his views might change eventually as he goes through the stages of denial.

8. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know it sucks, and its hard when a parent doesn't believe in you, but dont forget its really hard for him to understand. It doesnt make it better, but there are alot of people out there who are there for you and eventually your parent will except that and learn to cope with it. Till then there is us. Try no to think about it too much, it cant be changed...

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess there is something new to learn every day. That's the first time I have heard of that type of comment being made.