1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay (Longish)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Richykins, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Richykins

Richykins Guest

Hi there, ive got this little problem. All my friends know im gay and everyone is cool with it and thats great. but every once in a while, one of them will suggest that i go to a bay bar/pub (Ive never had a boyfriend and they all know that it gets me depressed quite a bit) But the problem is im always too scared to go. I always feel that if i go and somone comes up to me, then i would be obligated to have sex with them/go out with them (even though i know people just dont walk up to you and say "hey lets have sex") and also im afraid to go becuase naturally im afraid that No one at all would come up to me (my friends tell me im not ugly but i always disagree...im too skinny).

So in short...im afraid of people coming up to me..and im afraid of people not coming up to me. which has led me to only ever meet 1 other gay person in my life (admittedly i fancy the pants of him, bu hes taken and i would never do anything to ruin that for him)

Just wondered if there is anyone else who has had this problem and has any advice. or is it not a problem at all and i can safely avoid gay bars/pubs without missing out on anything special.

Thanks in advance xx

2. I'd actually be afraid of the same thing if I went to a gay bar. It could help if you brought a friend though. That way here, it would eliminate floods of people coming up to you (and the potentially sketchy people) but you would still get some people.

3. sexyalex

sweety, first of all at this stage of ur life as Chris Crocker might say, ur being codependent :lol: and it's ok..for now i guess; we all get insecure sometimes. however, u don't need to have sex with anyone u meet at a gay bar. that is not how the world works. u meet a guy, he "offers" u a drink, vise versa, and u have a nice social discussion and take it slow form there wether he is gonna be a friend or ur gonna leave him at the bar but what ur talking about is promisciousity.

so, :slight_smile: no need to be shy and u wanna know the secret to not being short. If u feel tall u become tall. but u think of urself little...and u call urself short, then honey...u will be short. Think positive and you HAVE to love urself and ur body. if u don't love urself, why would anyone love u?

i hope everything works out. best of luck, believe me i know how u feel.

sincerly yours,
    Alex.

4. Richykins

Richykins Guest

OK...i officially love you just for calling me sweety and honey.

5. mike_n_herrin

oh geezs, i'm 35 and still insecure. :lol:

gay bars are not (in my opinion) all that fun. i don't really drink and i don't like crowds. a gay bar is not the cure for being lonely in fact i would say that it can even compound the problem. if you are not in college yet, then i'd recommend hanging lose for a little while longer. are you going to college? if so things change sooo much once you are there and a lot of folks find themselves during those college years. the high school years are for the preppy, hot looking, or jock people. they are the only ones that ever really seem comfortable in hs. the rest of us have to wait until college :wink:

anyway hang in there man, i know it sounds like BS, but things do get better, don't push yourself into going to a gay bar because someone else thinks you'll "meet" people there. you don't meet good friends in bars (or at least that's my opinion).

6. Richykins

Richykins Guest

Currently in Uni atm =P im glad its not just me who thinks who thinks you dont meet good friends in bars. i mean im not saying it doesnt happen..id just prefer to meet somone outside them =)

7. boy0boy

Trust me I've been on both ends of that situation. When I went to gay clubs as a "straight" guy I worried about being hit on.. and what to do... then once I was out I got sad at the fact that I didn't get hit on.

So now... having had both happen........ it just depends on your own personality whether or not a club scene is fruitful for your ... well type of fruit, haha. I personally enjoy dancing.. I've never gone with the intention to meet someone, although I tend to get a bit sad when I don't... overall I just enjoy the atmosphere.... as nice as it is to want to meet a gay guy outside of a large gathering of them i.e. "clubs/bars", it just isn't very likely. I MEAN DON'T GET ME WRONG, VERY POSSIBLE, but a gathering a gay's is more likely to yield better odds for you finding at least 1 you like.

Either way, no... Clubs/Bars are not VITAL so don't ever feel like you're missing out.. and try not to make that into the reason you are going.. "because you should" just if you DO go... go with the intention to have a good time/night out and you never know what might happen.

Wish you BEST of luck:grin:

8. ErikPinkLovesU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love chris crocker btw and I was about to post a comment quoteing him lol. Your so awsum you should be a counslor :thumbsup:

9. iPieman

Chris Crocker is a dick.

Anyway.
    I've never been a big fan of gay clubs myself.
    Most of the one's in London are full of sleezy guys with, as you said, pretty much one thing in mind.
    If you can find one that has a good reputation and plays decent music then just go along for a laugh.

If anyone does approach you in there and you don't really want to engage them then just say so; they will be ok with that.

10. katmando

I have been to gay bars, but gone by myself. It was really depressing the people for the most part were not friendly. But I am like the other poster I do not drink much. They tell me if you go with friends, its better. Not sure, not a fan of the gay scene.

Only really one guy bought me drinks with the intent to mess around. I took the drinks and declined the screw :slight_smile:

Justin

11. Richykins

Richykins Guest

i like that Idea xD

12. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Make sure if they offer you a drink that you see when they're preparing it and if you leave your drink unnattended, better ask a new one! there are a lot of mean and stupid people that dump drugs and stuff on drinks of younger boys so they can do bad stuff to them :frowning2: