1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I answer?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Several, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Several

Everyone says that it's normal to be gay, but if someone asks me "how is it normal?", how should I answer? I'm quite sure people would come up with things like "it's guy and girl, not guy and guy", "that's not part of evolution, humans were made to reproduce" or "how is it normal? being heterosexual is normal".

I'm planning to come out of the closet soon, so I think I'd better be prepared for questions like these. :slight_smile:

2. mac404

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not that I'm any better at this yet, but thinking in terms of "normal" is almost guaranteed to be stifling. What's THE normal hair color? eye color? height? weight? religion?

I could probably add 100 more to that list, and yet I doubt a majority could agree on any of them. It always seems easier to think there's some "normal" aspect of everything and that fitting into it will make you happy/make life easy/be inoffensive to others.

Heterosexual relationships can be normal; homosexual relationships can be normal. What really matters (and is starting to matter to me) is what will make you happy.

Now that still doesn't really answer the religion or evolution argument and I bet you'll feel it doesn't directly answer your question. If someone believes the only "normal" way to have a relationship is with a man and a woman you'll probably get infuriated trying to debate them as they use an immense amount of circular reasoning or "Yes, but I still believe..." phrases. The important part is that you personally believe that your sexuality isn't perverse or unnatural. As I've come to accept over the last few months, it's anything but.

3. CrimsonThunder

Chris Crocker did something about being "normal" i think. It was a good video.

To humans there is no such thing as being normal, everyone is different therefore there is no normality.

4. darkestknight

Love, affection, attraction is blind. it's a special energy. Loving people is not a crime.

It's normal, like being left and right handed.

Or, the likings of tea or coffee (or Coke or Pepsi?)

hope that helps. :slight_smile:

5. Several

Hehe, not that I'm fond of having to explain myself to people, but it just pisses me off when people says it's unnatural or abnormal. What IS normal anyway? If I'm not natural, what about plastic?

I don't like it people say it's some sort of disease. I just need a good argument when people ask.

PS: Nice example darkestknight, being left-handed doesn't mean you're abnormal :wink:

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's normal?
    I never heard of weird and normal...
    I always thought of 'weird' and 'normal' as a paradox. I can't be bothered to explain but they completely cancel each other out; therefore they simply don't exist.

7. Several

Please do explain :slight_smile:

8. KaraBulut

What is "normal", exactly?

So, straight people only have sex when they want to reproduce?

Then why do most girls hang out with their girl friends and why do most guys hang out with their guy friends all of the time?

No, heterosexual is just "average". And ordinary.

9. SlickyPants

It really depends on how you define "normal." Usually I take it to mean that if something isn't usual among most people then it isn't normal. It isn't the norm you might say. That isn't to say it's wrong though. It just isn't as common as heterosexuality.

Bah, I hate delving into semantics.

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Yup, being normal or not normal is totally unimportant. So if people ask you that, just say "I don't know if it's normal or not, but it's who I am". Is liking peanut butter with icecream normal? I dunno, but if you like it, go for it.

Normal is tyranny. Sod normal. Just be yourself. :slight_smile:

Oh, and if they say it's unnatural, first, so are washing machines, nail varnish and condoms, and secondly, lots of animals do it.

These people are really quite easy to logically overcome if you think it over beforehand :slight_smile:

11. Ty

Ty Guest

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=g0VRkCF2a80[/YOUTUBE]

12. Urman

Urman Guest

Whats is normal,This is my answer There is logic answer for this everyone is uniqe in some way thats what makes a person who they are

#12 Urman, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't even bother getting tied up in the "normal" debate. There are people who are left-handed, or really tall, or what have you. One could argue these people aren't "normal", as they don't match up to the majority of the human race. But no one suggests forcing them to write with their right hands, or doing some surgery to get them to a "normal height". Some people might think it a bit odd, but everybody just accepts it.

If the "normal" argument comes up, just say "It may not be normal for you, or for most people. But it's normal for me. It's how I am, it's who I am. I could spend my entire life fighting it, or just accept it and enjoy my life. I've chosen the second option."

Lex

14. Urman

Urman Guest

good point

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK fine, since an explanation has been requested, I will gladly give it.

Let's face it, everyone's 'weird' in some way or another. Therefore, we all have that in common, which makes us 'normal'. Thus this must mean that 'normal' people are 'weird' simply because they're not. And since those 'normal' people are 'weird', they must therefore be 'normal'...thus a paradox. That's why 'weird' and 'normal' don't exist.

16. stevieboy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What an interesting post and in a funny way its helped answer a lot of questions I have been asking my self recently. I mean after comming out a few weeks ago and finaly egnoliging my feelings to be gay. I was thinking well im not normal it isnt right is it.

After reading everyones comments i think your all right. There isnt any real normal people we are all odd in some way and if we were all normal wouldnt that be very boring.:confused: Well thats just my little imput as I dont really know what im talking about yet lol

kind regards
    Steve.:slight_smile:

17. kramer362

"Normal" is impossible to define but if you want to explain how it's "natural" then i would say to point out how homosexuality and bisexuality is really prevalent in the animal kingdom.

For instance, dolphins have been known to find life partners in the same sex the same way hetero dolphins find life partners. There are numerous other species as well. (I watched a documentary called "out in nature")

Point is, no one knows why people are gay but it isn't really unnatural

18. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Ask them what they consider to be normal.

19. ccdd

ccdd Guest

What I always say is: if it wasn't normal, it wouldn't happen!! And so often!!

Plus, I personally think it's legitimate to say that it's *normal*, just perhaps not as *usual* as heterosexuality, although it certainly is very common!!!

20. wherewulfe

define normal and what gives you this godly right to define it.