1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell people Im lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SettingHerFree, Mar 12, 2013.

1. SettingHerFree

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Until very very recently I was unable to even jokingly say the L word. I absolutely hated it because I was taught that it was a disgusting word and it was the term my mom used to describe not only actual lesbian girls, but anyone who even looked manly. It made me sick because deep down I knew I was one of those girls and as I grew up my parents only used it as a derogitive term. Every time I come out to another one of my friends I still have a great deal of trouble applying that term to myself. So my question is this.... what's the easiest way for a lesbian to come out to people if she's not comfortable calling herself that? Is it acceptable for me to simply say I'm gay?

2. SheWhoHasNoName

Yeah! of course! that's exactly what I do! and for the same reasons too

3. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    It's totally acceptable to say you are gay! That's how I came out to most people. I've also used "I like girls." I'm just really not a fan of the word lesbian.

4. newgirl31

Me too! At first I said "into the ladies"..and now I am referring to myself as "gay" to those I am out to.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I know its impossible 'cause I'm almost 30 years older..... but Did we have the same mother?! :slight_smile: I don't like the word lesbian for the same reason. Gay covers it. Since the original meaning of gay was "happy". I want a life where gay=happy.

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Just say you're woman who likes other women, or that you're not 100 percent straight. That's how I came out to my parents! Usually if people ask me now, or if I tell them I just say I'm gay.

7. Shizune

You don't need to say it, you can write it on a piece of papper and hand it over to the person you want to come out to.

8. lilbit55

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it is perfectly ok for you to say you are gay i do it all the time. coming out isn't easy and it takes time. i am very comfortable with how i am and i still sometime get nervous about telling people I'm gay so don't worry we all have things like that that we are not comfortable with

9. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have a problem with the word 'lesbian'. I've been called 'pot' (Dutch word, similar to dyke I think), which I don't like because people use it for swearing. I like the word 'gay' because it is more neutral.