1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting over myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BuzzFledderjohn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I was thinking I'd come out to my friend who I don't see that much anymore. It's sorta perfect she's bi and today we had a looooooong chat about gay rights and transphobia and her other gay mates. Also it'd just be fun to shock her as the idea of me being gay was brought up today and promptly laughed off by about 5 people/

My only real problem here is I'm an old fashioned dude. I love old music, books and movies, basically I skipped over being a proper teenager straight to grumpy curmudgeon. My friends like that about me, but it brings it's own set of challenges in that it means I'm INCREDIBLY private like insanely so. I prefer not to talk about anything and deal with it myself which works, except in this case when it's not possible at all.

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who's like this and I was just sorta wondering how you got out of it enough to actually come out before sliding back to your curmudgeonly home.

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kind of lost.

Are you too nervous to come out to your friend? It doesn't sound like you are. Being private doesn't mean you have to keep everything a secret — I'm sure you know that.

Don't get stuck on being a curmudgeon; there are a lot of people like you. I don't see how you being an "old-fashioned" dude is getting in the way of you telling her, other than the fact that maybe you enjoy the whole hipster ideal and somehow want it to get in the way, if that makes any sense?

3. burg

i came out to a bi girl.i really regret not telling her earlier.i had known her for years yet never told her.one day she asked me if i was asexual so i just told her.i have told a few friends but out of every one shes been the best.
    i think its harder to tell guy mates really there's always the worry they might think i coming on to them and shit.i think like you i keep my emotions pretty concealed which i think does have it bonuses.but telling her sounds like the right move.

4. LoveMusicPoetry

People can know you're gay, doesn't mean they have to know everything that happens in your life. I've just gone through the coming out process in a ten year marriage, up till a few weeks ago, nobody had the first clue about me, they didn't even know I had been having such a difficult time. I found it very lonely not having anyone to talk to about things. Sometimes it's better to be able to confide in someone.