1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubting myself after coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by piratealisonnn, Mar 16, 2013.

1. piratealisonnn

Soo I came out to my sister and my best friend this past week. Both were completely okay with it. The thing is, now that they know, I almost feel as if I was wrong. I am starting to doubt myself again on something I thought I figured out.

Is this normal? Has anyone else done this?

2. Italy or Bust

I went through a similar thing a few years back, and effectively re-closeted myself. It comes back. At least it did for me. Now I am getting ready to get a divorce and live an open, honest gay life. Time will tell. And you only have to come out at a pace of your choosing. It is OK to have doubts. Listen to your true self, and you will hear.

3. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yep, that's pretty normal :slight_smile:

But I guess you came out as bi, didn't you?
    I mean... because your profile says "Kinsey 4"? So don't worry about it, things will return to normal in a while and even if you're going through a confused phase again, it doesn't matter if you like girls or guys now because you came out as bi (I don't mean to be offensive or anything!)
    What I want to say is that even if you "go" straight now... You came out as bi, not gay. It's normal for you to date men and if you "go" completely gay, it's okay as well because you didn't "come out" as straight.

So just don't worry :slight_smile:

Good Luck to you.

(PS: if you came out as a lesbian - I've gone through the same thing, I even got a boyfriend after coming out as a lesbian *facepalm*)

4. piratealisonnn

Haha, I did come out as a lesbian bc while I may have a slight attraction to men, I don't necessarily want to be with a man.

I'm just embarassed to be confused all over again... and I don't wanna re-closet myself. But I also don't want to be wrong.. GAHHHH!

5. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

I felt the same after coming out to my best friend and another friend. I haven't told anyone else, I still have my doubts. I would think it happens often enough. You are not alone.

6. Colours

I've had exactly the same. It has faded now. I sometimes casually tell my friends I may be a little bi after all, if the subject just so happens to come up. But really I feel no need to name my attraction towards girls, because there hardly is any.

Just give it some time, you don't need to rush things. =)

7. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

You are definitely not alone. My reason for taking so long to come out was that I kept doubting myself. And still did for a while after I came out. Give it time and try not to stress about it (easier said than done I know). It's okay to not be 100% sure. And just because you put a label out there, don't let that stop you if you feel something different. I almost did and realized labels aren't everything that shouldn't stop you from doing something that makes you happy.

8. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubted myself for a bit after coming out, so I gave it time. People say there's no rush, but I just wanted to know for sure and come out and get everything overwith :grin: There's no easy way to do that, though. Only time.

9. yeah its normal id say.
    but after a few years i stopped thinking what if im wrong and never really thought about it again lol.

10. rx79g

I've done the same thing after coming out to people. The thing about coming out as gay (or lesbian) is that if your friends still accept you, then its because they don't care about the gender of who you date. So if you came out as lesbian and then dated a guy or gay and dated a girl they'll probably not care too much. Just try not to worry about it.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Coming out is the process of personally accepting your sexuality and telling others. The coming out process is different for every person. Some experience anxiety, pain and anguish while others find acceptance easier. You may also experience fear, doubt, loneliness, anger and even depression. That's why it is good to surround yourself with others that may be going through the same transition or who have already come out. They can be a great support system.

12. leer

totally normal reaction i began doubting myself when I told mum& Dad they were brilliant btw but I wern`t happy about telling them ''didnt have much choice '' I had several months of negativeness with allot of crap going on i was only 16 at the time but it does get better in the end .:slight_smile: