1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I still feel posessive of my "ex boyfriend" even though Im a lesbian

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confusedbuthere, Mar 16, 2013.

1. confusedbuthere

Im still best friends with my ex boyfriend. We were in a five year relationship and living together and I came out to him last year. We get along extremely well as friends but a sexual relationship was not working well at all. I was rejecting him a lot, and when we did have sex I would always imagine women while we were in the act. I realize this was totally unfair to him, but I didnt even know I was a lesbian myself until last year.

In January he moved out, but we still talk every day and hang out a lot. Lately he has started trying to date again, lots of casual dating, as he should be. However I can't be happy for him when he has a date. I become extremely jealous and try to isolate myself from him. The thought of him with another woman still sickens me. This is so confusing for me. If I don't desire him sexually, I should be fine with him dating.

It has gotten to the point where I want to get back together with him just to "keep him". Which I know is ridiculous and won't work, as after a couple of months Im sure I will go back to rejecting him sexually. It's unbearable though, every time I see him I want to kiss him again. I don't understand, it's as though him being unavailable is making me desire him again.

It's getting to the point where I am now questioning my hard-won identity. I feel like I can't truly be a lesbian if I still want my ex boyfriend in that way. I don't feel bisexual though, SEXUALLY women in general are much much more appealing than men. He is also the only man I want. The thought of being sexual with any man other than him repels and disgusts me immediately.

How can I get over my posessiveness and just accept him as a friend?

2. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if I can help you but I have been in a somewhat similar situation.

I've had a boyfriend myself, while I am very much into women (but I didn't know that back then). It felt wrong being with him, but I cared very much for him because we 'clicked' intellectually (that doesn't happen with a lot of people). I knew very early in our relationship that I wasn't attracted to him and wanted to become best friends instead of a couple, but he didn't want to do that and we stayed a couple. Even though I didn't 'want' him that way, we still formed an intimate bond. When he cut off all contact and left me (he was kind of a douche bag for doing that) I felt bad. I truly believe that it has to do with friendship.

Nowadays people consider very strong friendships to be gay, while there could definitely be no sexual attraction at all. I'm going to be a geek and use the example of Frodo and Sam. Tolkien lived in a time where it was totally okay for straight men to be really close friends who share feelings and thoughts. That is exactly what we did when we were close to those men, so we formed a very close bond and we became jealous at some point. Another example: Some straight girls become overly attached when their best friend gets into a relationship with a boy. They get jealous of the time she spends with him, while they do not wish to be in a sexual relationship with her.

Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes. I don't know if I helped you, but I wish you all the luck in figuring the situation out :slight_smile:

- Edit - I didn't even answer your question! I got too carried away trying to explain what I think. Hmm.. it is tricky. You don't have the privilege I had (no contact at all). I think the most effective way is to distance yourself to some extent and focus on attractive girls.

#2 Laura27, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. confusedbuthere

Thanks for your response!

Yes I do feel we are very much like Frodo and Sam. He is the most important person to me and we have been through a lot together. When I was younger my mom kicked me out of her house without warning, and he took me in immediately and I lived in his bedroom in his family's house for 2 years. I was there for him when his dad developed cancer and lost the use of his legs, his family business failed and they bankrupted and there was sometimes only rice to eat in the house. In many ways we had a stronger bond than many married couples.

I also was very reclusive and developed extreme anxiety when we were in our relationship, to the point where I cut myself off from everyone around me except for him for a long period of time.

I am very scared about trying to integrate into the lesbian community though. Im afraid that Im not "lesbian enough" and Im going to be judged. I also have a really hard time making new friends and Im afraid Ill never find his "replacements" and will continue to be dependent on him for all my emotional needs.

God I sound so pathetic.

#3 confusedbuthere, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. revi

revi Guest

Strangely I get the same feeling of my ex girlfriend. I have to watch this guy hit on her and without realising it I'll start to figure out ways to get her to be with me again. I guess since it's someone you'vd been close to you sorta wana keep it that way even if it wouldn't work anyway...

5. nylondon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if this will help but I just want to say I think I am going through exactly the same thing.

Guys just don't interest me romantically apart from maybe this one friend of mine. The idea of being sexually intimate with him repulses me (even though I think he is handsome), but I love him very much as a person because we connect intellectually/spiritually. I'm also pretty sure he at least used to like me. Recently he's had this new love interest but the thought of him being with her makes me feel jealous. Which is terrible because, ya know, I could never give him the romantic/sexual satisfaction that he'd want. It makes me feel guilty and it makes me second-guess my "hard-won identity" as you accurately put it.

6. jm7034

I can relate to this a lot. I identify as queer and so does my male partner. We've been together for about 13 years now, but throughout this time I've realized my attraction to women. I've had a couple of relationships with women but none long term. I'm emotionally/intellectually/spiritually connected to my partner but not sexually. We are sexually intimate occasionally but it's hard for me. It just doesn't feel right. If I wasn't with him, I know I'd be with a woman. The thought of being with any other man is also disgusting to me. This past year, I fell for another woman (although I didn't cheat) and was honest about my feelings with my partner, but we ended up back together again. We're in therapy now, but I know it's only a matter of time. It's hard though because we are so close emotionally and have been through a lot together. He doesn't think anyone else could love me like he does. Maybe that's true, but I think about being with women everyday and I think I just need to bite the bullet and separate. I hope we can remain friends. It doesn't help that I'm an introvert and don't have many friends. I have been trying to integrate myself into the LGBT community more these days--going to meet up events, bars, advocacy orgs.

I think it's natural to feel some jealousy given your emotional attachment with him. I agree that limiting connect and integrating yourself into the Lesbian community will help. Good luck!