1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure how to feel...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AyaLou, Mar 17, 2013.

1. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This happened a while ago, but I am still quite confused about the situation. I suppose I wanted to let off some steam and also see what others thought about it.

My best friend knows that I am lesbian and she jokes about it a lot, but I know she means nothing by it, even if it's sometimes a bit hurtful, but that's just how she is. Anyway, in her citizenship class they were studying homophobia and the causes and effects of it etc. She told her class that her best friend (me) had just come out to her and that she knew I was very scared about it. I was cool with that because she didn't mention my name. The next lesson, however, she did and since then I have been getting horrid remarks and mild bullying from my classmates.

The reason I am confused is because she and her family have been very supportive, and as they know my family are very homophobic for the most part, they have offered me somewhere to go in case the worst happens. I asked her not to tell anybody and she betrayed my trust in her and I am angry at that.

This post seems really pointless but in truth I just needed to get it off my chest and get some opinions and maybe some help with the situation, even though it happened a while ago.

Aya x

2. campervankid

I would deffo be annoyed if my best friend told people I'm gay when I'd asked her not to. Have you told her how that made you feel? Maybe you could say you are grateful for all her support but that what she did really hurt your feelings. Sorry to hear about all the horrible things people have been saying, my only advice for that is to ignore it but I'm sorry because I know that doesnt make what they are saying any less hurtful.
    (*hug*)

3. The Dude

I don't really have advice and can't relate a whole lot, but wanted to send my support.

Keep your head up, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. The bullying will go down as you get older.

And the post wasn't pointless, I wouldn't know what to do in your situation either.

4. Lez

Lez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like The Dude, I don't really have any advice, but want to offer my support. That really is a tough situation....(*hug*)

5. Alaya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For starters I think you should talk to your friend about this if you haven't already. She probably didn't mean to hurt you by it but you need to establish that it wasn't acceptable for her to reveal that before you were ready. In a calm and collected way, maybe write down what you want to stay to her first.

Also has your friend said anything to the bullies when they make these remarks?

You can really either ignore the comments at the moment and neither confirm nor deny that you're a lesbian, eventually it's likely people will forget or get bored of making remarks. Or you can confirm it which will make it harder for people to use it as an insult against you but obviously if there is an issue with your family then this could be risky.

You should definitely let a teacher or guidance counselor know what is going on, even if it isn't too bad now it means they are aware of the situation and will probably take it more seriously if anything really bad goes down.

6. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friend and I aren't in any of each other's classes. Our school splits the upper school up based on average grades, so she hasn't witnessed anything. I know I should talk to her about it but I don't want to fall out... writing down what I want to say seems like a very helpful thing to do, thank you. I will do that when I pluck up the courage, aha.

I will keep my head up though and try to not let it get to me though. Thank you everyone, it means a hell of a lot :slight_smile: