1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting ready to inch out of the closet!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dasher Anne, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Dasher Anne

So, while I was in the shower ths evening, apparently my brother explained to my mom that he's actually a guy. (He was born a female.) He told me she doesn't seem to quite get it yet, but is okay with it. Since my brother knows I like girls he also told that she said that she didn't care if my 'sister' dated girls, which means when I come out to her as a lesbian I know that she'll be accepting. I wasn't too worried, since my mom is awesome, but this still helps me a lot. Now I know her opinion on these things! My bro doesn't have an EC account, so I'm posting this for the both of us! c:

On the other hand though, I'm not sure about my father. I haven't seen him react all that supportive of the LBGTQ+ community, so I guess we'll see where that goes.

2. jackram

Congrats to your brother on coming out! C: I wish you the best of luck in coming out to your parents. Maybe bring up something LGBT related in the news and see how he reacts? For example, states have been legalizing gay marriage recently, you could make a remark about that casually and see how he responds. If he reacts negatively, you could ask your mom not to tell your father yet, and just come out to her because it seems as though your brother had an easy enough time coming out to your mom. ^_^

3. GiddyGreen

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kudos to your brother!
    And as well to you, starting to inch your way out of the closet! It's lonely in there!
    As for your father, his reactions to the LGBTQ+ community, have they been negative or more on the not really interested side? Because just because he hasn't been completely positive about it, doesn't mean it'll be too bad.
    In the end, you are his child. Even if LGBT isn't something his in complete support of, the worst he'll really do is question you about it.
    i.e "Are you sure you're a lesbian??"
    Just remember, no matter what his reaction is, he's still going to love you. Even if he reacts negatively, you still have your brother and supportive mother, He'll come around. c: