1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM, Need advice on coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SkyJace, Mar 17, 2013.

1. SkyJace

Okay, so I'm trans* FtM. I've come out to my parents, my dad's somewhat okay with it, and my mum supports me fully. I recently told my (usually homophobic brother) and he just hugged me and said it was fine. I go to a co-ed school but I'm currently enrolled as a girl. So basically, I want to come out and be myself all the time. But my mum doesn't want me to, because she's afraid I'll be bullied. However there are trans* kids and lots of other openly LGBT students who don't get bullied at all at my school. Is there a way I can persuade her? What can I do? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. jackram

Well, you could reassure your mom by telling her experiences of other trans* students at your school, or try to express to her that it's uncomfortable to you to be enrolled as a female, or to have to be closeted at school. That it feels wrong to you to have to be a female at school. I wish you the best of luck!

I've wanted to come out at school, but I go to a private Christian school where I would get the crap beaten out of me. ^^;

3. SkyJace

Thanks Jack :slight_smile: See my school is 100% accepting of every demographic/statistic and minority group, its just that we've recently moved to the city, and I catch a public citibus into town and have to go around center city to get to and from school, and thats where her concern lies. :/ Though she's really supportive, she says shes just worried about my safety.