1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of outing myself via facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by josh9623, Mar 18, 2013.

1. josh9623

so, as the title says i'm thinking of outing myself to pretty much anyone who doesn't know yet by facebook, my main concern would be my grandparents, but i feel like this may be a way that could be "safe". i'm not really sure if i want to do this yet but i want to be able to actually post what i want to post without worrying about who might see it or worrying about accidentally clicking on something that could be seen as "gay". so, i feel like this would be kinda like a "riping-off the band-aid" type solution. What do you guys think? should i maybe talk to my parents about it or call my grandparents first, what do you think?

PS: i may call my sisters to let them know first

#1 josh9623, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. wildeflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    good for you that you're ready to come out. But to me coming out of facebook is for the people that you would like to know but who don't really matter that much. (just my opinion). I think you should tell your grandparents personally. It is always helpful to talk with your parents, they may have insides you haven't thought about. Also they can help talk to your grandparents.

3. josh9623

well the closest we can get to a real sit down (any time soon at least) is a phone call as my grandparents live in Louisiana (about 13hrs away).

4. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are best coming out to your family and the inner circle of important family members and friends. You can then be open on facebook, but speak to family first.

5. wildeflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    a phonecall will do, just have your parents in the room I would suggest. :slight_smile:

6. DDT

DDT

If you really want to do it and be done with it do it. It's comparable to screaming it with everyone you know around to hear. It's thrilling. I did it recently and everyone I care about were accepting. I cant promise you everyone will be but it's his for the soul