1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot decide which method I should use to come out to everyone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pokroke, Mar 18, 2013.

?

Which method should I use to come out publically?

1. Funny Facebook Status "I'm moving to Australia.." Jokes "I'm just bisexual"

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Hinting Facebook Status "I bat for both sides wow"

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Bringing it up in a sexuality debate (I'm kind of shy though)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Write bisexual on my hand, people can ask then.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Change Facebook cover to "I'm bisexual/Proud" in Russian

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Pokroke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok. I'm 16 and I'm bisexual. I'd known 8 months before I told anybody, but eventually I have managed to tell 12 of my friends so far and they were really supportive of me, and I'm ready to be more open. Unfortunately, my families are both traditional. My Dad's side like me and respect me, but have very traditional views on homosexuality and bisexuality. My Mum's side disrespect me a lot and I don't like them, they most likely tease me.

Anyway, I'm in my final few months of High School before I go to college, so I'd like to stand up for bisexuals at my school and "smash the stereotypes" that people have. So, I'm thinking of outing myself at school. I don't want to get too much attention, as people will assume I'm attention-seeking. But, I don't want to be too subtle as it doesn't work when I try. For example, I have changed my Facebook "Interested in" to men and women but only my friends that I told have noticed.

So, I have thought of several ways. Which do you think is best:

1 - Post a status saying I'm bisexual (most of my 40 facebook friends are people I like)
    2 - Post a picture/status "I bat for both sides" (to hint strongly)
    3 - Bring it up in a sexuality debate at school "as I bisexual myself, I feel that..."
    4 - Write bisexual! on my hand (people can ask me then)
    5 - Change my Facebook cover to "I'm bisexual" in Russian (I can speak a little Russian), if people ask what it means, they can find out.

Any other suggestions? I wanted to wear a LGBT badge but the school doesn't let us wear badges or bracelets. I understand that Facebook is a bad of coming out but it's the only thing I can really use I think.

Thanks for any advice

2. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the Facebook idea. Either a funny status or just changing your "Interested In" info. A lot of folks seem to have a problem with people coming out like that, I guess because it's impersonal, but unless your family and friends are super homophobic (in which case a very personal, patient conversation is probably in order), I don't see the harm in just being like, "Oh, bi the way... :icon_wink"

I'm not exactly out on social networking sites, but some of the things I do make it clear I'm not 100% straight. I Like a lot of gay/bi and transgender pages, which wouldn't be much of a hint (LGBT movement has many straight and cis allies) except for the sheer frequency of it. I share a lot of pro-LGBT news and go on rants about discrimination, which again is not a big deal as I'm politically active and into social justice anyway. But combined with my shameless flirting with female friends and the fact that my Interested In is blank... I like to think I'm not being subtle. The only in-your-face way to do it, though, would be via a status update or adding that you're interested in both men and women.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I think the last one is cool :slight_smile: probably not 3 or 4 though. I'm more of a face to face person but if telling your friends and letting the word naturally spread isn't what you want, then facebook may be your best option. It is whatever you are comfortable with! Either way, you are brave :slight_smile: I wish you the best!

4. 341

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of did a mix of the first and second option. It was obvious, but not actually saying it.

5. jvn95

Really I think you should just plainly say "I'm bisexual" on a status update.

If your worried about who will see, change the status to where only certain people you want will see it.

6. 461 467

I'm not a fan of number five. If you really are bisexual and proud, then you shouldn't have to write it in another language. It should be in the language your FB friends understand.

7. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would bring it up in a debate while fighting off the Bi/homophobics

8. ryanninjasheep

As a 16 year old, you've probably been asked those annoying "who do you like"s. I usually just answer truthfully...

(It might be harder if you're bi, though)

9. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Either do the Russian thing, or change your "Interested in..." thing on FB, personally I've thought of several bad-ass ways to come out to everyone when I'm ready.
    1. Dress how I want to one day, wearing a pride wristband and getting my black highlights (I really want highlights) without telling anyone
    2. Make a homemade music video to Minority by Green Day and share it on FB
    3. Next time a "friend" talks shit about gays or the other gay kids at school say "Well... f**k you I'm gay too" and walk off giving them the middle finger.
    4. Or I'd go subtle and just say I'm gay next time somebody asks why I don't have a GF

10. Ianthe

Why Russian?

11. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    if i had the guts i'd do option 3.... coz all my mates are homophobic...

i might need to find new friends before i decide to walk to off though :roflmao: