1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to start a LGBT club at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Mar 19, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, if any of you have been following my support and advice posts you know what situation I'm in. I don't want my mom to know I'm gay, the only person that does know is my long distance boyfriend who just recently joined EC.
    Anyway, I asked him to send an email to my principal about having an LGBT group at school, I went ahead and told him to put in the email that I'd be willing to meet with him about helping with the club so long as he keeps my secret. (I had him write the email because my email address has my name in it) He put that I've had some issues with my mother and that I've got nobody to turn to and that I feel alone. And I do, I feel very alone, it hurts sometimes and I cry to sleep sometimes about how alone I feel.

But now I'm starting to get cold feet about coming out to the principal because my mom works for my school district as a substitute teacher and is everywhere all the time, one of the best in the district. And I'm afraid that if I tell him, or the school counselor everything that they'll turn around and tell my mom because they know her.

Another thing is that this school is pretty intolerant, I have only seen one known gay guy. But I know or know of about 7 lesbians. So I know I'm not the only gay kid.

To be honest, I'm not even sure anybody really cares. Nobody really gives a damn about any of the students in the whole district, all they care about is having passing test scores so they don't get shut down.

So, I'm not sure if I should tell the principal or the counselor if they do respond.

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to say this straight out: being the pioneer of an LGBT club in your school, given that you're not out to people you care about, is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it.

It would be completely different if you just wanted to join an existing LGBT club — that would be easier.

It's definitely a good idea to set up a club, but you need to work on coming out to your Mom first.

Your school counsellor could be a good person to come out to, but you need to assess his level's of professionalism and ask about his protocol with regards to confidentiality. If he is a good counsellor, not telling your Mom should be easy for him. My school's counsellor has never said a word to anyone, and was deeply insulted when I accused him of not being confidential (it turned out it was another teacher).

There are stages to these things. I think you've probably just jumped a bit too far ahead of yourself, even though your goals are noble and good.