1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my best guy friend who is trying to ask me out that I'm a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asari, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He goes to church. I am also really spiritual so I guess people assume I am straight. I have never talked to him about relationships so I don't know why he wants to ask me out. I haven't really given him any indication that I am in to him. On Valentines day he asked me if I wanted to hang out. I told him it would be "awkward" to hang out on valentines day. He admitted that he wanted to bring me chocolates. I told him I was "going through a hard time" I think he might think because I was going through a hard time I wanted to wait to be in a relationship because he backed off for a while then started talking to me again.

Don't get me wrong in a parallel universe this dude would be my future husband. We game together and his favorite game is Mass Effect. If a girl told me her favorite game was Mass Effect I would propose to her on the spot.

We agreed to hang out Friday. I think he wants to ask me out that day and I am super nervous. I consider him a good friend and I don't want to break his heart. (the reason I put it off so long). What can I say so that he isn't hurt. Also what if he doesn't believe me? What if he uses the bible card on me and tries to convince me I made a choice or something? How should I tell him? What do I say? Should I try to make it lighthearted? What if I show up to his house and he has flowers or something that would be awful! What if I chicken out and don't tell him!?? PLEASE HELP ME! :bang:

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're not ready to come out to him yet, you could say something like "I'm really not interested in dating anyone at the moment, I'd like to be single for a while." If you think you might be able to come out to him, you could keep it simple and say "you're a great guy, but I'm not really into guys" or something?

3. UndercoverGypsy

Haha, I live in a small city with a BioWare office - coincidentally, the one with lot's of Mass Effect guys, so pretty much everyone knows at least one person who's voiced for or coded Mass Effect.

About the actual post, coming out to him is probably the least offensive way anyone could reject someone, because it doesn't in any way say that something is wrong with him or that you think he's unattractive. It would leave him much less devastated than you just saying no.

4. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG I AM SO JEALOUS!
    I think I might reject him Samantha Traynor style.
    I bet if I said "you remember when I said I liked the sound of EDI's voice?" he would know what I was talking about.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Lol, that would work!

6. photoguy93

If you can't come out to him or if he throws the bible or something else in your face, he isn't your friend. A good chunk of us go thought this - our friends shift when we come out. If he can't give you that respect, the you don't need to waste your time!

7. some nights

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hahahahaha this for sure!!
    But on a serious note, if you can tell him then I'd say tell him. It seems like the easiest way to prevent his advances. But if you're not ready for that, then it seems like telling him you only see him as a friend would be just as effective. Either way though, I completely understand the need to evade those awkward moments.

And I wish I had friends who played Mass Effect. That way when I tell my phone GPS "That'll be all for now EDI" people wouldn't look at me like I was crazy hahaha

8. UndercoverGypsy

Lol "EAT BIBLE!" seems like it would catch on amongst the bigots!

9. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right. It is just really hard because I have lost a lot of friends and I don't want to loose another. :/

YEY another Mass Effect fan! Let's be friends!! :slight_smile:

... So I have decided I am going to tell him Friday. Where do you think we should meet up so it is not awkward? I feel like if I am in control of where we meet up it won't be as awkward and something unpredictable is less likely to happen. I need to have a plan. This guy is very persistent (don't know if I mentioned that) so I need to stand my ground and get my message through before he tries to dissuade me. I feel like it would be best to meet at one of our apartments because then we can have a real discussion or maybe I could find a public place that doesn't seem dateish? If I go to his apartment though i feel like he will have more control. He probably has a plan for where the conversation is going as well. My apartment isn't the best place to talk because my roommates are usually in the living area and even if they weren't the walls are super thin. (they don't know I'm gay). I want to tell him as soon as the conversation starts. So what do we do when there is an awkward silence afterwards? Play video games silently and awkwardly? lol Is meeting up for coffee too weird? I've never come out in a public place before. I usually pull my friends aside.

10. Lark

Lark Guest

The good thing about coming out in a public place is that if things go wrong or it gets awkward, then you can make your excuses and leave, or go and do something that distracts you both. Plus, especially if you go somewhere crowded like Starbucks then nobody is going to give a flying mongoose about you and your private conversation.

I came out on a school bus once, and managed to get away with it-considering my school is a living gossip machine, that's no mean feat.

Wherever you choose, I hope it goes well. If he's a good friend, then he should be able to look past differences and love you anyways. Good luck!

11. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I had the same problem with my best friend. He kept asking me and I wasn't ready to tell him so I told him it would be awkward because he's my best friend and practically like my brother. He still brings it up sometimes but now it's mostly joking.

12. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just told him and he was totally cool! My adrenaline is going crazy right now. How can I calm down?
    He even said that he suspected that I was bisexual. lol. But I cleared up a lot of things for him.
    I was shaking when i told him and I still feel like a crazy person. I need to breathe... omg

13. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    update: He messaged me after we hung out and apparently he freaked out afterwards. He sent me this really heartbreaking message about how he cried and doesn't know if he can handle talking to me right now because he is so upset. I went over to a friends house and talked about it and drank and I still have this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.

14. StormySea

You could always remind him that you haven't changed. The only thing that's changing is his perception of you because you trusted him to know more about yourself! You wouldn't have done that unless you thought he could handle it and it wouldn't sever your friendship. Remind him of that! :3
    I'd also suggest calling him to tell him this, but if he doesn't answer, text.