1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to peek out of the closet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xashesxx, Mar 20, 2013.

1. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

So I decided I need to finally tell my family and everyone that I am a lesbian. It's just a matter of who to start with. I'm pretty sure my mom will be okay with it, not sure about my dad. I know for a fact my sister is all for gay marriage, we've had long talks about it. I'm just not sure if I should come out to her first. I'm pretty sure she's still going to treat me the same. I just don't know how to start all of this off. I've only told three people, one who was drunk..so more like two. But the other two kind of knew already. Any suggestions on what to say? Any help would be awesome! :slight_smile:

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice would be to start with your mom and sister. And ask their advice on how to tell your dad.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :goodluck: with coming out, I wish I could give you advice but I am at the same stage as you & as I am yet to come out to my family :icon_bigg hope it goes well (*hug*)

4. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

I figured the best start would be my sister. I can't honestly see her thinking any differently of me.

5. Dasher Anne

My situation was kinda similar. My mom who will most likely be fine, my dad who I have no idea how he will react, and my brother who is transgender and obviously supportive. What I did was come out to my big brother first. When he came out to our mom, he basically set it up for me to come out to her, which I'm planning on soon. Maybe you should do something similar and come out to your sister first, since you know she'll accept you, then she can help and support you as you work on coming out with your mom? Good luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. imymemine

imymemine Guest

Well, tell yourself that you are the adult, the one that have to explain everything, in the situation and you have to make them understand that this is not the only thing that describe who you are. After all, this is just a spectrum of your life and it's brave enough to make them see who you truly are.

Tell them that you'll always be the same, nothing really change. Maybe just the partner you're going to be with, but this is another story :slight_smile:. I suggest also that you should start effectively with your sister who might support you the more and help you out for the future conversations that you're going to have with your parents. Good luck and I hope it helped a little!