1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer and Polyamorous: How do I tell my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Peace, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Peace

Hey, y'all. I feel a bit silly asking this as I'm 19 now, but I really need to do this.

Basically, I'm in a polyamorous relationship with two other women, T and D, one of whom is transgender. (D is MTF) I am in a different country to my parents but will be home in a week. D lives in the same country as my parents, T lives where I am. They know a lot about each other, of course, and hope to meet someday.

My father knows I'm queer, and he knows D is trans. He knows T and I spend a lot of time together at Uni and that D and I are not exclusive, but he doesn't know T and I are in a relationship.

My mother knows nothing. She thinks T is a close friend and D is my long-distance boyfriend. While she is accepting of other peoples' life choices, due to her strict Hindu upbringing and things she has said to me, I can see that she would not be okay with me being not only Queer, but with TWO women at the same time.

Basically, how should I come out to them? When would be a good time? What should I say? I feel so lost, and neither D nor T know what I should do...

2. AKTodd

It sounds like your dad has most of the pieces of the puzzle already. So perhaps the final piece or two will be easier for him to process? I would suggest coming out to him first on this and then possibly talking to him about how best to approach your mother.

Where your mother is concerned, perhaps do this in stages? Come out to her as queer and in a relationship with either D or T (whomever you think she might respond most favorably to) and then introduce the subject of the third person sometime later after she's gotten 'used to' the initial revelation?

Just some thoughts,

Todd

3. Peace

Thanks, Todd!

Yeah, that is definitely true for my Dad. I will. :icon_bigg:

As for Mom... She does know D and I are together, she just thinks D is male because D hasn't transitioned yet. (She only just started going to gender therapy...) But yeah, I'll ask Dad. I'm just so nervous. I really don't want to be disowned by or ruin my relationship with my mother, we're very close in everything except this.