1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Rather Weak

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Exoskeleton, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Exoskeleton

I just finished a video project for my psychology class. Purely by chance, I was assigned Gender Identity Disorder. So, I made a video in which I played a male version and female version of myself discussing GID. Not coincidentally, the male version of myself was much, much closer to my actual demeanor. My mother, intrigued my the technique of cloning myself, wanted to see the video.

I showed her.

In the three minute long video, there were perhaps 20 opportunities for me to make an observation about masculinity, bisexuality, body image, etc. It was the perfect opportunity. But I didn't. Because I'm terrified.

I really do want to be honest with her. Right now I feel like she doesn't accept the true me (considering the frequency with which she goes on homophobic rants). But maybe if she actually knew the true me, she'd feel compelled to change her views and would love and accept me. And maybe, just maybe, once she accepted me, she would come to accept the rest of the LGBT community.

In my head, and even my heart, that chance is worth coming out to her. But I'm filled with too much cowardice to go through with it.

Just needed to vent. :icon_sad:

2. wildeflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    hi, I'm not quite sure what to say. But I think you have to be careful. Although she might and I think probably will come around when you tell her, it will take time. You said she has homophobic rants, so I think it would be a very hard time to go through for the both of you. I'm not saying you definitely shouldn't come out, but you have to be in a position to be strong enough to go through that.
    and you are not weak, it is very hard, especially when you feel she might not accept you at first.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did she react to your project? That might be a good sign of how she'd react to you coming out. Did she seem freaked out by the opposite-gender version of you?

4. Exoskeleton

She wasn't freaked out by my male version. Instead, she was impressed by my female version, as if it was sort of "the girl she always knew I could be"