1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can my girlfriend do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Musician, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Musician

My girlfriend is going through my coming out process mutually. I think it's a coming out for her too, that her life will be drastically altered, considering that she won't be getting married to me the way we expected and not having a family together.

She needs someone to talk to. She'd love to talk to someone in person, like one of her friends, but I don't want people to know yet. I'm not ready. I came out to only 3 people so far on the first day (Thursday), and that's plenty right now. I will definitely come out to more as I adjust to this, but I'm not ready yet.

What can she do? This is very hard for her, and while we are getting through this together, and she's the strongest woman I know, she needs a place to vent. Maybe she can talk to my brother, to whom I'm already out, but she wants to talk to a chick, like her friend or something, whom I don't want to know yet. Maybe we can talk to my bro first, and then if that's not enough for her, we can make room for her friend? But her friend is a bit of a gossip, and I do not want the rumor getting out yet. Or if you have other ideas, please share.

Thanks, guys.

2. Canis_Lupus

So basically she needs someone to talk to about this, someone who won't "spill the beans" on you, someone who has dealt with this kind of thing and preferably a chick. Hmm... Why doesn't she just use your name here on EC, post her concerns/questions, and she could get a multitude of responses and advice from many people, orientations and walks of life with a giant pool of experiences?

3. Musician

Thank you. She might use this forum.

4. Ianthe

She will need her own account, since sharing an account is against the Code of Conduct.

Does she have any friends that you would trust to tell? She needs support, too.

5. Musician

We chatted today with my brother's ex-gf, who is bisexual. She'll create the account. We'll continue looking for outlets for her. My therapist, my brother maybe. Worst case, that friend of hers, though if word gets out to the second degree about my gayness, the whole world knows (through a mutual friend of ours). He outed another friend to me without his permission, and I don't want the same happening to me.

6. Ianthe

If she wants to discuss anything privately, make sure she knows she can PM anyone on staff or open a thread in Ask the Staff. :slight_smile: She might want to be able to discuss things without you seeing.

7. Musician

Thank you. I'll tell her.