1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convice my mother to let me come out to my dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stridenttube, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Hey all of you clever peeps, how should I go about convincing my mom to let me tell my dad I'm gay? She says its pointless because I don't have a boyfriend and I'm like WTF? How to i combat this lame argument?

2. Ianthe

Your mom does not get to make this decision. You get to decide if you are going to come out to your dad.

Just tell her that you are an adult and it is your decision. She can't actually stop you.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

She knows how to make my life a pain in the ass and she uses this fact against me.

4. Adarya

I think you could counter her argument by talking to her and telling her how important this is to you. If you really want to come out to your dad then you should; it's your decision to tell him, not hers. Plus, just because you don't have a boyfriend doesn't mean that it's "pointless". He's going to find out eventually anyway- say, when you do have a boyfriend- and it's not like you're only gay when you have a boyfriend. That would be completely ridiculous.

Anyway, hopefully that helped or gave you some ideas.

If you do choose to come out to your father, good luck! :grin:

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

Wouldn't letting your father know about a part of who you are be worth it, even if she does make your life a pain?

That's my view on it, anyways.

5. Wolfie Charm

It is your choice. If she goes the route of being immature try tactfully telling her she cannot control your decisions and that she should be mature about it. Seems no mother likes hearing her kid has grown up, but growing up happens to everyone.

6. Ianthe

Tell her it's important that he knows you are gay before you have a boyfriend, because otherwise he might think that the boyfriend "turned you gay," or something, when you've been gay all along.

Ask her if she thinks you are going to change your mind or something, and that's why she wants you to put it off.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to agree with Ianthe. And at a certain point, you have to stand up for yourself. Basically, "It's my decision, and I'm going to do this. You can be manipulative and vindictive and threatening if you want, but all that will do is put strain on our relationship. I'd appreciate it if you'd respect my wishes as an adult."

8. RainbowMan

Dude, you're 19. Even if you were younger, as many others have said, this isn't a decision that your mom gets to make. It's one that you get to make. Forgive me for being so frank, but it's time you grow a pair and tell your dad :slight_smile:

As for your mom making your life miserable, assuming that you're not unsafe (i.e. she won't kick you out of the house if you still live at home, or withdraw support for your education), then I personally would think that it would be worth being a little uncomfortable and awkward to be able to be yourself.