1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has blurting it out worked for anyone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheSquirrels, Mar 23, 2013.

1. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

I was planning on just blurting it out to a friend of mine, since there's a fair chance she knows already. Has this worked for anyone else? How did the other person/people react?

2. estrella

I personally haven't blurted it out to anyone, I don't think. I would imagine that it may catch them off guard if it's to be at a random time, but if the conversation is close to the topic of being bi/gay, then I suppose it would seem more reasonable (is that what you meant? :x). Best of luck!

3. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

Haha, I was kind of planning on just blurting out like, "How have your classes been? Oh hey, that's cool. You know I used to have a major crush on [girl's name], right?" But thinking it over, I might have a prep and then a jump, like "What did your boss think about Obama's view on same sex marriage?" (That's something that came up between them a while ago, maybe use it to just double-check what my friend's response would be). But even if I did that, I'd probably wait like a little while after her response, and then take the out-of-nowhere route, lol.

And thanks!

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh just blurt it out! It's fun to see the reactions! (been there done that)

I tried the preamble route, but then people start thinking you have cancer or something, then you tell them and they say, phew is that all you wanted to tell me?

5. estrella

That is what I did with my mom--not blurt it out, but I got her views on it. I know she wasn't prejudice, but I just needed to test the waters. A prep sounds better. :wink: And yer welcome, haha.

Greatwhale--that is so true! When I say that I have something to say, there is a tension in the room. In the end, it makes it easier when someone says "That's just it?" It's funny. :grin:

6. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

Haha, Greatwhale, that's a great point. I might end up with a compromise. Bring up Obama now, then blurt it next time I see her. Thanks for the help!

7. Nyanko

I did that with my sister. We were at the gas station getting sodas, and when we got back into the car, I was just like, "Can I tell you something?....I'm gay." It caught her off guard (cause you know...random outing), but she took it really well so I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have been able to tell her if I did it any other way. :slight_smile:

8. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I blurted it out to my friend. She just hugged me and started using correct pronouns.

9. Pain

Pain Guest

Well, I kinda did at college, because I was comfortable with myself and nobody there knew at the time. Then they did. No big deal.

10. wocket

wocket Guest

I was planning on getting buzzed and saying:

"Hey mom and dad. You know I like girls right? Like I wear enough plaid and my desktop image is tricia helfer in a bikini. BUT DID YOU KNOW I ALSO LIKE BOYS?
    NO?

Ok well also ps spoiler alert I am a boy kthnxbai"

After that I was planning on transforming into a bat and peacing it the eff out but who knows I'm still working on the exit

((I'll probs just write a letter))
    ((That would be so like me tho))

Good luck blurting it out!!

11. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

I'm glad it's worked out for some people :grin: I'm hoping the "Just get it over with" way will work best :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing, and Good luck to you too, Wocket!

#11 TheSquirrels, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  12. Yep, with both of my best friends. Thankfully they took it well.

13. Incognito10

Blurting it out can be a great approach; once it''s out there, there is no taking it back.

14. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

@Feminist Fem: Glad it worked out for you :grin:

@Incognito: That's my logic. Still going to think it over, but this might ultimately be my approach :grin:

15. LD579

Blurting it out is kind of how I came out to a lot of my family. If you're fine with them knowing, and you don't their reactions will be averse, it should be fine. In my experience, though, it highly depends on the type of person you're dealing with. If a friend of yours is really nonchalant, it probably wouldn't matter if you came out by blurting it out randomly.

For my part, though, my mom got kind of mad at me, but it was dealt with quickly. She basically said I shouldn't just dump info like this on my dad and such. So... It really depends.