1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rebellion, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Rebellion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, I just wanted to tell here that in about two hours I'll be coming out to my other closest friend after I've been telling him that there's something I need to tell him frequently in the previous months, and now that he's here for holidays I won't miss the chance again; I've just messaged him there's a conversation pending (actually I reminded him) and he told me he will be coming home, but as I don't want my family to overhear the conversation we'll just have a walk and have the conversation privately.

Honestly, I don't know how he will react and if he will supportive or not, I'm ready for a possible bad outcome but I hope everything will end up well, and I just hope he doesn't tell me I'm confused for not having experience with girls, because last time my parents did that I got really pissed off and confused.

Ultimately, I'd like to add I'm profoundly thankful to EC for helping me when I had my doubts with my sexual orientation, I've been able to sort it out in a quite short period of time and nothing of this would be happening now if this forum and its members hadn't existed. Well, let's see how it all goes, see you!

2. Mysz

Say how it went, and good luck! If he is a close friend, then he should be understanding. If he thinks you're confused, explain that who you prefer is something you know by instinct, and now by experience.

3. The Dude

Oh god I'm nervous for you...good luck buddy. Eager to hear how it goes

4. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good Luck man!
    Hope everything turned out all right!
    I wish I could be as decided as your are :/
    But I will get there soon, I hope :slight_smile:

5. Naomilly92

I think you've already successfully prepped yourself by preparing for the worst, whilst you may get a completely different reaction, you never know. One thing I would say is expect questions, even if they sound ignorant, it would just be his way of trying to understand, it's ok to say how you feel about the question, but I think it's important you try to be understanding and have an open mind, if he reacts badly, give him a bit of space and see how he reacts after taking it in. Best of luck, you'll be fine :slight_smile:

6. RainbowMan

Good luck, do let us know how it goes!

7. Rebellion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi again, everything went super well after all, though I only have two real friends I can say I'm much happier having them than a bunch of "friends". He came home and then we went for a walk, I was feeling quite nervous so I told him I needed to walk a little more just to catch my breath, around 60 meters further, we stopped walking and he insisted, so I said the magic words 'I'm gay', and then, the unexpected came, instead of freaking it out, he congratulated me and told me he pretty much suspected I'm gay, and then, we kept on walking forward, I was a little shocked yet for staying nervous for a long time, but I tranquilized after all, he even asked me that perhaps I could be bisexual so I put him the classic example: "Would you try with a man?", he answered negatively, so I told him that I was like that but for women. He also asked me the type of men I like and that he'd like to put me in contact with other gay guys in my town. Ultimately he asked If I ever liked him, I told him no, but that wasn't true, I actually liked him a little when I was younger though I could barely consider it a crush as it lasted too little and the attraction wasnt strong, tomorrow I'll tell him I was not completely sincere with him (I was it because I was with my sister and I like private matters to stay private), I don't think past matters anymore, and besides, liking a person is not a bad thing, is it?

Anyway, thank you a lot for your answers, it's been the first time I've talked about my orientation without fear as I could not see any sign of weirdness from him like my parents and sister had.

8. The Dude

That's so awesome buddy. Congratulations, it sounds like a great moment for you.

Hopefully my friends are just as awesome.

Also having real friends versus "friends" is always better.

9. Rebellion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you and I wish you good luck as well.

Actually I'm not that decided, I just learnt I deserve to live my life the way I want and not how my parents, family and society would want, if someone can't accept that, that's their problem then. I'm pretty certain you'll get the valor to do so soon, it took me since beginning of last July to realise I was tired of being closeted till now, it's not an easy road, but it's rewarding, and necessary I'd add, even with all its dificulty