1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unaccepting Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Exoskeleton, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Exoskeleton

I was just wondering if anybody has come out to their parents and subsequently been rejected by them. And if you have, how did you deal with it? Did they ever come around to accepting you?

2. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, as bisexual first. My mom would constantly tell me I will grow out of it. I never did. She came around. When I came out as transgender she tells me I'm a girl and that's how God made me. She never came around and I don't argue over it. I just express my true gender out of her presence. I dealt with it by knowing I accept myself & that's all that matters.

3. SpectreStatus

Yeah I tried telling my mum a couple of years ago. She was determined I was not gay.. It's a phase... All the usual stuff.
    So I decided to let her be happy in her own little bubble. My friends were great about it so that helped a lot.

4. Naomilly92

Yeah, my dad pretty much rejected it. Said he was never going to accept it. Even when I pushed him to go to a PFLAG meeting he wouldn't. So we don't really speak anymore. I doubt he's ever going to come round to me being gay, but I have enough accepting people in my life so it's not much of an issue. I had support from them and my LGB group, which was brilliant at the time :slight_smile: