1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who needs to know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Live Love Smile, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Particularly in the family tree. Mom knows me as bi but I think she knows I'm a lesbian, and my one cousin and grandfather may suspect it. Another cousin and my one uncle know.

Other than that, no one else that I'm aware of has any idea. My aunts, grandmothers, other cousins. I'm semi-out at school, but I don't think some people believe me when I say I'm not into guys. And work-wise, my one co-worker (who's also my neighbour) I'm pretty sure knows, and maybe a second co-worker, but other than that.. Nope. And I think 2 neighbours (including the co-worker) know.

Do you think personally the rest of the family should know, because it's awkward when they ask, "Why aren't you at your boyfriend's?"
    "I don't have a boyfriend."
    "Why not?"
    "...." :bang: Why don't you get it!?!?

Sorry for the mini ramble, but who have/do you plan/want to come out to?

2. Wolfie Charm

Ugh, I hate the “Do you have a boyfriend?” question!! I always answer not interested, but only in recent months figured out that is more true than just not ready for the dating scene yet. Which was probably also due to the whole “Am I supposed to have a boyfriend?”

As for planning to come out… My mom, (subsequently her boyfriend I’m sure), my dad, and one friend. I don’t really see the point in telling all of them because I’m moving in a few months. And anyway, there aren’t many friends to tell. Thing about moving is I am going into witness territory. That’ll be fun… Don’t think I’ll be telling the new family. :rolle:

3. UndercoverGypsy

I have a feeling that families have some moral obligation to stop their kids from having boyfriends and girlfriends until there's something other than themselves working as a barrier. I can only imagine how shitty that question must make you feel - I can barely stomach saying that I'm straight, let alone deal with someone telling me I need a girlfriend. I'm sorry that you have to deal with that crap.

4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I don't think anybody really needs to know. I don't really stress about it unless I want to tell them. If I don't feel comfortable telling someone, I know the right time will come for me to do it.

5. I hate that too, except it's the other way around. I hate it when my parents, cousins, and my aunt and uncle keeps asking me stuff like "Are you going out with a girl for homecoming?", "When are you going to bring your girlfriend home?", and *chinese accent* "Why you don't bring the girlfriend? You so handsome!". I don't mind if it's one of my friends who doesn't know asks, because I'll just come out to them right on the spot.

I plan to come out to my American-born cousins and that's it. My first-generation family would never understand, and that's including both of my parents. I would come out to them sooner if my parents were American-born.

6. BornInTexas

I've gotten the, "Are you going to ask a girl out for prom?" "Do you have a girl to go with you to prom?" question so many fucking times, it's unbearable. I cannot stand it.

Believe me, you don't need to tell them. Just ignore the question or hop onto another subject. That's worked for me, and it's keeping their them from asking me again.