1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've been planning on coming out to my sister this week but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GreenSkies, Mar 24, 2013.

1. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

For months, I've been planning on coming out to my sister this week (because she's in town visiting). I know that she doesn't really approve of gay people (but I barely know any non-homophobic people), but she is the person who I always share everything with. I always share all of my problems with her, and it's been very painful to me that she doesn't know something so important about me.

So I decided that I would come out to her despite what I know about her personal views until she actually got here. A few hours ago, my mom casually mentioned that a character in a book she was reading was gay (My mom doesn't know yet either), and my sister said that she thought it was disgusting and didn't want to read the book.

Now I'm feeling frustrated and really really upset. I'm also feeling angry because I hate hearing so often that gay people are disgusting, and it hurts worse coming from my sister even though she doesn't know about me.

I've been planning exactly what to say and how to say it for months, and now after seeing her reaction to a gay fictional character, I don't know if I should risk it. I'm worried that she won't want to have the same kind of relationship that we have now, or that she won't want me around her kids, and I'm not sure what to do.

2. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe she just doesn't understand. If you are that close then I think she'd be willing to listen wouldn't she? I would say to try but then again I might just be young and naive.

3. BlackSwan

Sorry for that...but yeah, actually something very close hapends to me...and now I'm much more confused about what my 2 sisters thinks about gay people because of their reaction when one of them found out that a friend of her is dating another girl..

On the other hand..a couple of weeks ago I came out to one of my best friends. She didn't like gay/bi people so it's been hard...she said that she couldn't say that everything was OK...but that she won't stop talking to me and at the end she told me that she'll support me..
    Now we are talking more...as we used to before my coming out

I think that your sister is maybe going to need some time to assimilate that..but she'll understand at the end..
    Maybe it would be more helpful if you bring the subject little by little..don't know..I think
    I'd like to read some advises too :confused: