1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling awkward

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hexagon, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Hexagon

So I've concluded that the best way for me to leave home is together a job, but there aren't many around these days. I decided to join a 10 week program for training, and today is my first day. I've encountered a situation which I seem to constantly encounter. I was to come out (as bisexual, the trans stuff is staying right where it is, nearly forgotten), but I feel as if making a point out of it would kind of... Over dramatic and awkward. I mean, people really don't care about these things anymore, and I think it would just sound as if i were fishing for a reaction.

Why do I feel it's important to come out for a ten week course? I'm really not sure, but maybe it's something to do with having any friendships I form being grounded on at least some legitimate basis of acceptance. The last 'friend' I made turned out to be basically in contrary to everything I am

2. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm like that. For me, it's so I make friends that I know accept me for who I am. By coming out, I don't end up with a friend who won't accept me once they know. It's to save me from heartache. I know your not fishing for a reaction. Sounds like your trying to find friends who you know will accept you.

3. Hexagon

So I unsure of how to come out while feeling comfortable

4. Dalmatian

It could be seen as attention seeking if you brought it out all by itself, out of the blue. Can you wear a bracelet, a ring, a badge? Something that would make it clearer or make people ask you, while being relatively passive.

5. Hexagon

Hmm, I think I have a wristband tucked away somewhere. Good idea. Thanks.

Sorry for any typos. I'm on my phone here.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as autistic on the first day of my creative writing course.

In my case, it simply came up in conversation. The teacher was talking about 'quirks you do that you don't notice until a romantic partner points them out' and I said that reminded me of getting assessed for autism. The psychologist pointed out some quirks I did that I'd been previously unaware of, such as playing with my hair and rocking.

I don't think I've mentioned that I'm asexual, because it hasn't come up in conversation.