1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOAH! This sexuality thing just got way to much for me to handle!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sully, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sully

Okay, I don't really know where to start. Or where to go. Or how to get there.

(SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT THAT YOU'RE NOW CONFRONTED WITH)

I'm turning 20 this year, and I haven't come out to anyone. I've played it so straight that I honestly don't believe anyone would guess that I'm gay.

Personally I've known for the past 19 years, but I've never acknowledged the idea of actually coming out and what not. In a sense, I really didn't care.

But. Literally over the past couple of weeks, even the past couple of days, I've realised that I want to, and in a sense 'need' to come out.

I find it strange though, to this day, I can't ever remember shedding a tear about the whole thing, but tonight, not half an hour ago, I had a thought that almost turned me into a ball of tears. That thought was the acknowledgement that being in the closet is stopping me from falling in love. As soppy as it sounds, there it is.

I think the time is nigh!

It all sounds so simple:lol:, but I'm sure people on here obviously know that isn't the case:lol:

As for my parents, I'm 99.99% sure they wouldn't care, but still I just can't do it, in my defence I've literally just started to entertain the idea of coming out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My extended family however, I hate to say, is a lost cause. They're the kind of conservative catholics that if something LGBT came on TV, they would immediately change the channel with and audible and visible cringe. The worst part is they do/did this in front of their children. Talk about teaching acceptance. However the silver lining of this is that if I continue to play it straight (in the immediate future)for them my potentially large inheritance will still be mine :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I win this round conservative losers! Fortunately I was blessed with not being baptised or raised with any religion around me.

Anyway, on the whole, I'm really finding this change way to much to deal with. I just wish I hadn't ever played it straight, I wish I was one of those people that was open early on in their youth :bang:

So that leads me to, DRUM ROLL, how do I come out to my friends and family?

For family, I've been thinking of leaving a note and skulking off for a few days...but I'd probably work myself into a bit of a state. Also my parents are separated, and I really can't be :***: going through the whole ordeal twice! Normally I don't think they'd care, but at the moment my dad has his own demons he's dealing with, and my mum has just got into romantic relationship, after 10 years single and raising me and my sister, she's so in love with him and I'd hate to damage that!

Then there's my sister. At the end of the day, she'll probably be the first to know. She's a couple of years older than me, and yeah that's that.

After family is tackled, I guess friends will just sort of happened.

So, there you have it. If ANYONE can give ANY advice or comforting words (they're nice okay!) I'd very much appreciate it!

Thanks
    Finally I'd just like to thank the Owners, Admin, Mods, Contributers and everyone else for having this place for people to talk! Before I posted this I scrolled down a saw that there was so much activity on the threads, it's so amazing what you've done and allowed people to do here!(&&&)

2. Dalmatian

Who are you defending yourself against? :wink:

Feeling that you 'need' to come out is a good reason. It shows that you are doing it for yourself. Living in the closet is no fun, I think everyone agrees with that; so, taking this step is huge.

It is true that being closeted cuts your options significantly when it comes to relationships, although it doesn't make them impossible (many people around here manage to do it). Of course, being openly out and proud is far better.

As to what to do, well, firstly, you don't have to hurry. Weigh your options and how coming out would influence you. You are a teenager (not for long, but still) and you are dependent on other people for everything in your life. So think again, just to be sure that there are no additional problems associated with telling your parents. By this, I mean problems for you. Their own problems, although important, can't be the reason not to come out (maybe postpone at best) because there will always be some problems.

The most important part of this are, of course, you. It seems you are pretty much at ease with your sexuality, accepting of yourself and can't wait to be out. However, is this euphoria a spur of the moment thing?

Your sister seems like a good place to start. Maybe you could consider a friend even before her? Someone out of the family and someone who you are close to. But sister is probably the best idea in preparation for your parents.

Keep us posted in any case :wink: And good luck, I hope your coming out will be another success story posted in this site :thumbsup:

It really is amazing :slight_smile:

3. Sully

Thanks for the advice. Maybe a friend is a better option, I just really don't know.

Yes and no. It is only recently that I've had this intense desire to come out, but 'this spur of the moment thing', has been known to me for 19 years...

4. Dalmatian

I was talking about coming out. I'm aware your sexuality isn't a spur of the moment thing :slight_smile:

It depends on your life situation, of course, and there are many success stories that come basically from reckless bravery, but I'd say probing around for start would be a good idea. Come out to a friend you trust and then see how you feel about it. Coming out is great and I'm not telling you not to do it (far from it!), but if you overdo it all at once, you could get overwhelmed.

5. Sully

At this stage I'm just sooooooooo tired of 'living a lie' the whole reckless bravery thing just sounds like the best option :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BUT

You're probably right :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Sully

At the moment, I'm thinking I'm of coming out to someone who used to be my best friend. We're still good friends, and he's gay.

I used to be really supportive of him coming out and would always be the person he talked to it about, but, because I've struggled with the same thing I got really sick of hearing about it all the time, I just didn't want to have to deal with someone else's coming out whilst I couldn't. So, our friendship diminished, but still I feel connected to him. Hopefully he takes it well.

I'll admit, he's always been the person I'd like to tell. However he's also been the person who at times has probably guessed at me being gay (as in coming onto me and asking me if I'd ever kiss another guy). I just hope he doesn't hold it against me!

7. Sully

This can be my official saga thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So of course, I go out clubbing and start making out with girls! That's the first time I've ever done anything like that. And I mean the FIRST TIME...

So thanks alcohol. You're a really good mate! Always helping me make the right decisions :/