1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using facebook image as chance to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asari, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I changed my image to red for the equality thing. I have had friends message me and ask me about my position on gay marriage because everyone knows I am a devout Christian. I've come out to three of my friends this week. 1 friend reacted by laughing and saying, "I know." My guy friend took a while to accept it cause I apparently broke his heart. I just came out to my guy friend (who was in ministry with me) in a facebook message and he hasn't replied to me yet. He told me that he is having trouble because he was in ministry and so I opened up to him and told him how difficult it was for me to accept myself. I am a bit worried about his response. I am kinda proud of myself for being so brave though. A few months ago I thought I was going to stay in the closet forever. Now I am coming out to my friends even though I am getting mostly negative responses and it isn't phasing me.

Still wish everyone could just support and love me. Coming out is so painful when all your friends know you as this strong christian. Most responses haven't been that positive.

2. tabbicat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm so sorry about your friends, but congrats on coming out. I really want to come out too, and like you I thought not long ago that I would be in the closet forever. A few of my close friends know but I want my whole family and everyone to know so I can be happy and proud of myself for being who I am,

3. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job on coming out! Sorry to hear that it has been hard, but try focusing on the people who support you. Keep an eye out for other friends with the red equal signs. Also be sure to look closely through your news feed. Many of my friends aren't changing their profile pic, but they are making positive posts about marriage equality or liking other people's comments about marriage equality.

4. samelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry about the response of many of your friends. I can relate in that I grew up with a strong Christian background so many of the people I am in contact with are anti-gay. It can be so very tough. I'm not even really out to anyone, but many people know I support gay marriage/lgbt rights, and that fact in and of itself has caused some to react negatively towards me and de-friend me. Very sad situation.

5. BornInTexas

Sorry about the bad responses of some of your friends.

I used to be Catholic. It was so difficult to accept myself, but I thought and thought and I changed my stance on where I was in the faith. I removed myself completely from it. It wasn't worth my time.

I wish I had your bravery to come out AND put my facebook as the equality symbol. You are courageous, and that is something to be even prouder about. :slight_smile:

6. PeteNJ

Great that you were able to use this opportunity to come out! You will have all sorts of reactions... glad you've had some positive ones! Congrats!!

I have the red equal sign up as my FB profile pic -- but so do the majority of my friends, whether straight or gay~!

This might depend on the areas of the country/world and what your communities are like.

I will come out via FB, in a couple weeks. Need some time for the dust to settle from this past week.

7. Hexagon

Just remember that those that take issue with your sexuality aren't people you'd want anyway. Congratulations on having the strength to come out. :slight_smile:
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

8. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

congrads on coming out thats a good way to do it

9. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much. I have never thought of myself as courageous so that was a big confidence boost for me. Thanks. :slight_smile:

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to hear that some of your friends are not taking it well. That can be really hard. I've been in that position before..

Anyways, congrats on coming out! I hope that with time some of your friends will come to realize that you are still the same person.

11. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should think of yourself as brave and courageous because that's a big thing coming out like that, it's awesome seeing people be so proud of who they are. You are definitely braver then I am, I had my picture like that for all of two days before I had to take it down lest someone start asking questions.

12. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    omg you guys are so nice. See that's why I love this site it reminds me that I will always be loved by my gay community even when my real family abandons me.
    Good news though my guy friend that I was in ministry with was really cool and we chatted for a bit about how hard it has been to readjust into normal life after our time in ministry.

13. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    I didn't display the red in my profile picture but I did add a link about the line re:

Before we make a ruling did enough people change their profile picture. :lol: I only had about 10% off my friends change theirs so although it was known of it wasn't that well supported.

14. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am now deleting all my "friends" from my facebook that are leaving hateful comments. I don't want to associate myself with people that want to shove their political beliefs down my throat.