1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you come out to people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alphabets, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Alphabets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As the title asks, how do you come out to people? Like, do you write it on a note, ask a friend to tell the person you are coming out out, etc. I want to know, because Im gonna come out to my crush tomorrow, and im nervous; because I plan to tell him face to face, which i've never done before. I would mainly write it on a note and give it to a friend, but I want this coming out to be really special. I was plannin to tell him during lunch time, since we don't go to the cafeteria. We stay in our next periods teachers classroom and we usually are alone in there, so I can tell him there.

My questions are:
    -How do YOU come out to people?
    -After coming out to him, how can I not make this awkward (If it happens)?
    -Would it be a bad idea to do it face to face?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've come out to people in person, on facebook (by message and on status) and in some papers for classes.

It's kinda hard not to make things awkward. It's not something that people talk about everyday. I'm not sure where you are at... but maybe you could incorporate everything that has been going on with marriage equality in the US? You could use this to lead into coming out as well.

I think that you should come out in the way that you feel most comfortable. If you think that you would be most comfortable coming out face to face, then come out that way.

I hope that it goes well for you! Let us know how it goes!

3. BornInTexas

I've come out to ALL my friends over text message.

1) I'm an ugly crier, and I cried when I read their replies. I also cried when I was typing it. No one should see me cry. It's not a pretty sight.
    2) It is comfortable because you aren't a blob of teary mess, and you can think about what you are writing.

You can come out any way you want, but do it where YOU are comfortable.

4. BlackSwan

I've came out to 2 of my friends on chat (has been pretty easy cause 1 of them is lesbian and the other has a good friend that is too)...and I wrote an e-mail to another friend (best friend actually).

5. That Kid

I come out to most people face to face, I just bring it up in conversation in a very nonchalant manner. I don't like sitting someone down or telling them I gotta talk to them. I guess I can get away with that because most of the people I came out to already kind of expected it:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I definitely recommend coming out to him in person, it'll make him feel more important. If for some reason it does become awkward after, just try to change the subject. At least that's what works for me.

Good Luck!

6. I came out to my four best friends face to face. They were all fantastic about it, and it wasn't the slightest bit awkward :slight_smile:

7. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It always goes like this for me
    knock knock
    who's there
    your friend Danielle
    your friend Danielle who
    is gay

8. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not "out" to a lot of people, but with those who I am, I usually just make some remark that's indicative.
    For example, me and my coworker were playing pool at this bar once, and there was a table of really loud and obnoxious girls near the pool table, and he and I were kind of joking about them, and I said, "Yeah, and none of them are even hot..." and he just kind of laughed and got the point.
    You know, thinking about this made me realize how often me coming out to people involves alcohol ... haha, I should probably work on that.

9. Alphabets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks to everyone who replied! You were really helpful! ^^ I've decided to come out to him face to face tomorrow, and I'm like really nervous, so I hope I'll pull through. If I don't, then I'll plan to do it during spring break, since he invited me to go to the movies with him (And like 2 others). I'll let you guys (and girls), know what happened.

10. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my family/2 close friends face to face. Everyone else can just figure it out as I go along.

11. Alphabets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya... I didn't tell him... I was too nervous. When I was going to, he was talking and talking, and I was trying to concentrate on how or when I was going to tell him, but also trying to listen to him at the same time. Idk why I was nervous, I think it's because I just don't like the term gay (Maybe because I'll be embarassed?), and I didn't want it to be really awkward. I felt like it was the right time, sun shinning bright, nice atmosphere, and we were alone. Im so mad at myself, because that was like the perfect time and now I feel like I won't have that again. I guess I can try some other time? Idk.. :/