1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husband being supportive

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SheriB33, Mar 29, 2013.

1. SheriB33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just came out to my husband last week and he is being insanely supportive and understanding. I know he loves me so much and it's killing me to know I'm hurting him but I know it's the right thing. We also have two young kids. I guess I am wondering how to deal with these feelings of guilt that I'm hurting him and everyone close to me even though I know it's the right decision.

2. RainbowMan

You might have wanted to post over in the "LGBT Later in Life" forum for more topical replies, but here is good too :slight_smile:

I think that it's completely awesome that your husband is being supportive, and that's very important. I think that your kids will be too - kids simply want what's best for their parents (I know that I do, and my parents are going through a very difficult time right now.)

As for the feelings of guilt, you just have to remember that you ARE doing the right thing, as I know that you are.

Hang in there (*hug*)

3. SheriB33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your input and for the forum advice I'm still trying to figure it out.

4. LoveMusicPoetry

I am going through exactly the same thing. I came out to my husband nearly a month ago. He is being very supportive and has accepted what I am. Things are difficult though and you'll both be gettting a lot of feelings of guilt. I know exactly where you're coming from on that score, I assure you. It's hard to watch someone you've been with for a long time tearing himself apart. You just have to some how keep hold of the fact that, although it hurts and it's hard on the kids, neither of you can move on with your lives till things are sorted. You can't start to rebuild and neither can he. I know it feels empty and like things will never improve, but they will. I have to keep telling myself exactly the same thing.

5. Rexmond

It's awesome to know that he is supportive and understanding, that's the best outcome in these situations. :slight_smile:

It couldn't be easy for him I'd imagine, but I would definitely keep in touch with him if I were you, and honestly there aren't many more options other than move on?