1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheLiberalLlama, Mar 29, 2013.

1. TheLiberalLlama

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to come out to some of my friends. The issue is that I moved across the country last year, so it's kind of impossible to do it face to face. I think they're pretty open-minded, although there's girl whose views on being gay I have no idea! What should I do to come out to them, and should I tell the girl I mentioned?

2. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should. (but of course it's up to you to decide) You said you don't have an idea of her views, then she could also be OK with it. Of course she can be a homophobe, but do you really want to keep her as your friend then? If you cannot openly be yourself near her or when you have contact with her in any other way (email/facebook/telephone)

I am personally always better at telling difficult things through written messages, even though I know many people wouldn't see a facebook/deviantart/etc. message as really personal, when I try to tell it IRL I just slam shut :S
    I think you can pretty well write them an email or something, not just "Hey! I'm lesbian!" but just explain what goes through your mind, what you're experiencing, and the struggle you've been into. Make it as personal as possible. In my experience that works fine most of the time.
    Or if you want a more direct/personal approach you could call them or have a videochat, if you have a webcam.

Anyway, good luck with it! You can do it! *hug*