1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little advice please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ruby, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've been researching like crazy and I have a tiny, little handle on my gender orientation/sexuality and as much as I love the people here on EC I need someone in my life I can talk too. I have two options, first is my best friend, who I might have a tiny little crush on(I can ignore it), but who I know she would support me. The only problem with this is I don't want to make our friendship awkward because we have a really tactile friendship and I would miss the human contact. And also I spent forever loudly saying, "I don't do vagina" and stuff like that, so that's a con because she might think I'm a liar or something but it's so much more complicated then that.

My second option is a guy friend I dated in high school, we are pretty good friends and he's bi leaning gay so I know he would be supportive but we aren't very close and I'm worried he wouldn't take me as seriously as I need to be taken. All my friends would be supportive but these two are the best candidates, but they both have serious pros and cons. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

2. Lewis

If you trust her (your best friend) enough, confide in her. True friends stand by you no matter what.

Telling somebody you're straight when you're not isn't necessarily lying. I'd call it hiding. I don't think it's anybody's given right to have to know our sexual orientation.

From an experience of my own, if the guy is openly bisexual - don't tell him. Often those that are LGBT and out tend to forget how important it is to keep it quiet. I told a bi guy I met and then began a game of Chinese whispers among his friends. Straight friends take it much more seriously (in my case) and keep it to themselves.

Confide in your friend. She will love you no matter what your orientation and/or gender is. My best friends continue to surprise me on how amazing they are in regards to me being gay.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. some nights

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had the same worries when trying to decide if I should tell my best friend or not. She was also very touchy and I was worried that by telling her it may change the way she viewed the context of things, whereas that was definitely not my intention. But I told her and literally nothing changed except the fact that we talk about girls now (*hug*)

I say if you trust your friend then you should tell her!! Just be sure to give her time to adjust at first (if needed) and offer a chance for her to ask any questions she may have. In my experiences so far, people generally surprise you with how incredible they can be!

Good luck, and of course if you ever need to talk... :thumbsup: