1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I going to fast?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by G8house1, Mar 30, 2013.

1. G8house1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I came out to a good friend of mine today (best thing I have ever done!) and they were very understanding and supportive and that has motivated me to tell others! I have already arranged to tell three more very close friends and want to start telling my other less close friends.

BUT now here is the thing... I am worried that I am moving things along too fast I only really found out I was gay about a year ago and only came to terms with it 3 months ago (rough guesses) and I keep thinking 'what if I'm wrong and I'm not gay' and what if this and what if that. and I was thinking all this before I decided to start coming out am I just worried or anxious about telling more people and that is turning into denial? Any feedback would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. UndercoverGypsy

Congrats, man! A year is enough time to be sure. Everyone has the same thoughts about "what if this is a phase" and so on, but you have to ignore it. Only you can know who you are.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with UndercoverGypsy, a year is sufficient time to be sure. What you are experiencing is: "OK, this is real now, there is no turning back" and it is quite a shock to the system, but on the whole, a healthy one.

I am still coming out to others and I feel better about it each time, it feels right and it is right!

4. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you on coming out to your first person, I'm glad to hear they were supportive! It's a great feeling to get it off your chest for the first time (at least I thought it was)!
    I also had the exact same feelings after I came out for the first time, so I'd say this anxiety about it completely normal.
    If after a year you continued to have the same feelings, I don't think you are moving too fast. I also think you can be relatively sure this is not just a phase etc. Just continue with whatever you feel comfortable with!