1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BiBoy19, Mar 31, 2013.

1. BiBoy19

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Ok I'm 19, maybe gay but I believe bisexual. Anyway I want to come out to more than my friends and so my cousins on my mom's side were next. Yesterday we hung out for Easter and my cousin said he loves Big Bang Theory and is sad about Jim Parsons being gay. I haven't come out yet and feel that if I do I'll be a family disappointment :frowning2:.
    Now I don't know what to do.
    :help:

2. Wolfie Charm

Welcome to EC! You've come to the right place. :slight_smile:

3. RainbowMan

I don't think you'll be a family disappointment. When the person that's gay/bi is a family member, when it hits close to home, there's often a completely different viewpoint than if it's a celebrity or someone that they're disaffected by being gay.

Once it hits home, feelings often change, making you the "exception" - it's OK to be gay if you're our brother/son, but not for Joe Random Person. It's a strange dichotomy sometimes.

4. BiBoy19

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks I'm still scared though cause we are from a religious Mennonite family but I can't keep this a secret forever especially now when I have developed feelings for a friend ( he doesn't know yet but I plan on telling him soon as he is also bi) I just can't see them as accepting people not right away at least. My parents wouldn't care I haven't told them yet and I have only told my close friends and a few coworkers so far.