1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there anyways to come out without making a big deal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Einturing123, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Einturing123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to come out to my parents and everyone, but I can't because I'm too nervous and it definitely would be a big deal; and we would end up discussing it for hours. Anyway to come out without making ending up in making a big deal about it? Replies would be grateful! Thanks! (&&&)

2. TheUglyBarnacle

Do you know what their attitude towards LGBTQ people is? If they are homophobes, coming out casually will probably not be very well if you dive head-first in it. You could try mentioning something in order to see what their reactions would be, if you don't know. It's not too difficult to bring up homosexuality as a topic today. You could stir conversation concerning an openly gay actor or mention that you heard something about the whole Supreme Court discussion on marriage in the US.

Also, maybe you could try hinting at things before coming out? Showing indifference to girls, for example, might make them wonder. If they are already wondering, it'll be easier for them to accept it.
    I can't help much being in the closet myself... >.>

3. Einturing123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live in the UK, so talking about something in America....will be weird. :eusa_doh:

4. TheUglyBarnacle

You had some discussions about marriage, too, didn't you? It's to be legalised in 2014 in the UK if I remember well?!
    But yeah, that's kind of ancient news ny now. :/

Maybe you could make a gay joke and take it from there? There quite a lot that are actually funny...

5. MixedNutz

Try watching something gay theme with them?

Just say it very nonchalant in conversation.

Just make a comment on a guy in passing "yea he was good looking.. Somewhat are we having for dinner?"

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or, if you can find an excuse to go away somewhere for the weekend without them, write a letter, leave it where they'll find it... gives them a day or two to think before they can talk to you. Failing that, just leaving a letter before you go to school or work or wherever can work.

7. That Kid

I just bring it up in conversation in a very nonchalant fashion. For the most part, they barely make any deal at all... However, that might just be because everyone was already suspecting it, haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Saxyguy1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would probably not start with my family if I were you. My family still doesn't know about me being gay. What I did is tell my best friend, who is also gay. That way, I would not feel judged or ridiculed because he was in the same situation. Telling friends will build you up and make you feel more empowered. Then you will feel confident and comfortable enough to tell your family.