1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I came out to my brother....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by StormySea, Mar 31, 2013.

1. StormySea

I came out to my younger brother just now and got kind of a mixed response...
    I knew it would be risky because he's said before that he doesn't like homosexual people, but I figured he was open minded enough and telling him would work if I explained everything right.

I really just told him everything about my own orientation (nothing about being bigender- I think that would've scared him xD) and that I've always been this way, etc. It struck me as odd that he was strangely calm about the whole thing, but he seemed to go along with it until I finished.
    He promised that he wouldn't tell our parents, but followed up by saying things were now 'weird'. He said he still doesn't like homosexual people (Me: *Asexual!) and was trying to get me to just say I was flat out lesbian, so I tried to explain that there isn't just strait and gay; that there's a range of orientations, but he didn't seem to be getting it.

I trust him not to say anything (because I risk being kicked out of the house or worse if my parents found out), but he said he didn't want me to be around him as much anymore because I was just 'weird' and 'nasty'. (In his own words "Now things are just awkward.")
    Obviously that hurt, and I tried to tell him that I've known I liked girls for a while and I was only interested in chicks for their companionship- it's not like a sexual lust or anything. He interrupted me and said if this was something I wanted to talk about, he wasn't the right person to talk to. And he still insisted on calling me a lesbian and disgusting. He made it very clear he didn't want to talk to me about any of this again. ;.;

So, I guess that's that. I didn't think this would affect our relationship as siblings to heavily, but it looks like now that it did. I'm kind of hoping that he'll be more okay with the idea when he's older (he's only in 8th grade right now), although I was kind of still hoping that I could be the exception to his anti-gay brigade. :/
    Although now I do feel weird and disgusting... I'm starting to think it was a bad idea to try coming out to anyone at all.