1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are things so difficult!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chrisg, Dec 4, 2006.

1. chrisg

Howdy, all!

Let's see...err...I'm a freshman in college and just came out to my parents...etc. etc. etc. I've been on the board for a while but haven't really been too active because of schoolwork and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm having real trouble finding a relationship with a guy. I don't know if it's me, or if there aren't enough gay guys at my school, but it's really getting me down. I just have no idea how to go about finding a boyfriend. In short, I am hopeless. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

-Chris

2. nisomer

try joining some clubs and organizations, something especially like a GSA would help finding some gay friends a lot easier.

3. step49x

I've been having similar problems, although my problems lie with not being able to find that many gay guys, period.

I am a freshman at college, much like yourself. I go to a small (3,000ish udergrads), liberal arts college that is affiliated with the Reformed Church of America. Right now, I can probably count all the gay guys I know on one hand.

The biggest problem I have for me right now is, I'm the type of guy that everyone would assume to be straight. My friend that I came out to (straight) said that he noticed I wasn't attracted to girls, but besides that, it was a surprise to him. I'm really not one who goes around proclaiming myself to be gay, whether it be in dress, talk, or mannerisms. So really, the only people that know I'm gay are the ones I tell (i can also count those people on one hand).

If your college has anything like a GSA, I would definitely suggest joining it. I know we have a gay-straight forum and a glbt group (i'm only a part of the former). I'm a little frustrated by the forum, because:
    a) it's not well advertized
    b) it isn't officially recognized by the school (we meet off campus)
    c) of the 4-5 other guys that regularly attend, 2-3 are straight

I think if I was more out and open about it, it might be easier for me to meet/find gay guys. I think my biggest problem is I want to meet more gay guys, but I'm not actually doing anything about it.

I guess my advice would be, join a GSA, get to know a lot of people, and try not to be secretive about it (easier said than done..).

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Of course not everyone has access to such groups. We often meet partners through luck, when we least expect it.

I met my partner through the contact adverts in a gay magazine. That was before these were all based on premium rate phone lines though. A few people I know (gay and straight) have had success with dating websites such as datingdirect.com. These have age limits though, generally 18+.

You could put your approximate location in your profile here. Although this is not a dating site, you may find that there are other members in your area who maight contact you if they knew. :wink:

5. chrisg

I am actually quite involved in my school's equivalent of a GSA, but I don't think any of the guys there are interested. Of course, I have no way of telling, either... <_<