1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out. Now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jadore, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Jadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Coming out for me has been a gradual process. I came out to my friends (in person) first cause I knew they'd be supportive of me. I finally mustered the courage to tell my mom. I wrote this emotional letter and emailed to her. I made sure to send it so I'd get confirmation of receipt and it being read. I got both. My mom is now not answering my calls/texts etc and posted a whole bunch of religious stuff on Facebook. Anyway, her avoiding me was actually one of the better reactions I expected from her. Even though her response was far from accepting, I'm actually okay with it. I feel okay and feel like by telling her I finally gave myself permission to be happy. It gave me the courage to just come out to my brother (my brother lives abroad and we didn't meet until adulthood hence the more impersonal coming out), extended family, and more casual friends via Facebook (changed my orientation on Facebook to into women, reposted a lot of LGBT stuff, and referred to myself as lesbian in many status updates). So, I'm out everywhere except work. Now what? Is there anything else? Do I learn a secret handshake or something? I thought my life was gonna monumentally change, but nothing really happened. I woke up, ate breakfast, and everything was business as usual. It almost feels like a let down.

#1 Jadore, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. LD579

Er... I can't see any post or anything.

If that's just your question, well... The answer depends, really. Who did you come out to? Did they receive it well? Do you feel like you should come out to more people?

There might not be anything else left to do, but I can't say without more details.

edit: Gosh darn it, I look like a buffoon who doesn't use capitals. You guys win this time...

#2 LD579, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. Jadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What happened to my post?

4. LD579

Maybe it's because today is _____. Dunno, I had nothing to do with this.

5. BudderMC

Your post returned to moderation because you edited it, that's why it wasn't visible. There's usually a notification where your message should be saying that it's in moderation.

6. Jadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    anyone else feel the same?

7. LD579

It sounds like there's not much more to really do. As for your mom... She may come around. It sounds very obvious that your mom went out of her way to show her lack of support for LGBT issues when you came out. The 'hate' may die down, and she may return to 'normal' and treat you the way she used to, or she may learn to eventually accept you as, y'know, her daughter no matter what. Who knows what may happen.

Again, honestly, there's not really much for you to do, if anything at all...