1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my sisters?? need some advice..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlackSwan, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BlackSwan

So... I have two sisters (younger than me..) and I've been thinking about coming out to them...

At the beginning I thought that it shouldn't be too hard because at least my middle sister support gay marriage.. (we've talked a little about it..); but them this happened:

One day...she found out that 2 of her friends are actually dating others girls...and when she told me that, she was kind of...surprised. I tried to figured it out if she actually had a problem with it or not...but was hard to tell.. I'm pretty sure that she is not homophobic but I don't know how would she take it knowing that I'm not straight...

On the other hand, yesterday I was in my room with my younger sister and we were watching some videos...and then I showed one from someone that is bisexual..and she was surprised with the new (I was too when I knew it cause I like and admire her :icon_wink ) and then my other sister was surprised too (we where chating so I told her too)...
    Just after this...when I closed my chat window..there was an image about Uruguay and the same sex marriage issue.. and that's where my sister that was with me said something like that she didn't know if shes agrees with it, because for her that's no normal...then she added that she doesn't think that it is kind of possible to fall in love with someone of the same sex..that some people say that they're gay to call the attention..that it is like a "fashion". I told her that it is possible, and most of the time is not that you choose to be gay..otherwise why some people would choose to be discriminated..

The thing is..that know I'm not sure how they're going to take it...and I'm a little more scared... (but talking to my parents scares me much more... :confused: )

However..I've being thinking about coming out to them...actually in few days, taking advantage that my parents won't be here for a week..

1° I'm not sure about doing it... :confused:
    2° I don't know how to do it... I've being thinking about some..options:
    - face to face or by e.mail/message/chat..
    - asking what would they think...if I start dating a girl
    - or something more like.."I have to tel you something... I'm not straight (no label cause still not sure about it )

Other ideas are welcomed :icon_bigg

sorry about my English but it's my..lets say 3rd language.. and the length but I need some :help:

2. Amelie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi,

If you are not sure about your sexuality then I wouldn't try and label yourself for them, it would probably just confuse them... Instead, I would try to raise the topic gently and open up a discussion between you all. It's not clear from your post whether you've had any sexual experiences with a girl... But, if so, then maybe next time the conversation turns to lesbians/same-sex couples (which maybe you could bring up somehow!), you could say something like... "I've had a sexual experience with a girl.. I liked it, and to be honest I'm confused about my sexuality..." Or if not, maybe, say, "I'm attracted to girls sometimes and to be honest feeling really confused about my sexuality"...

Hopefully, this will open up a conversation where they will want to support you to work through your feelings. So rather than just blurting out "I'm not straight" - which they may struggle to respond to - it gives them an opportunity to discuss your feelings/perhaps their feelings etc...

Don't worry too much about the views they expressed in your room the other day. Many people fall back on the "popular arguments" - i.e. "it's fashionable to be gay" when they have never really given much thought to an issue. Once you talk with them, I'm sure they will go away and think about the issues more carefully and hopefully form a more positive judgement!!

All the best with it..!

:slight_smile:

3. BlackSwan

Thank you for your reply =) yeah I think it's better to bring the conversatipn that way...

About the labels...actually I came out as bi, I'm sure that I like girls..but I'm not so sure about boys...