1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion With My Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LilBlueLC, Apr 5, 2013.

1. LilBlueLC

I haven't posted in a while, but I'd like to share what just happened about an hour ago.

So as I was driving with my mom back home, this song comes on the radio (Same Love by Macklemore) and I tell her this is a good song, it's about marriage equality. We get into a discussion about it. She says she thinks they shouldn't make it legal because some dads would try to marry their sons for something to get more money (something about assets) ,and making gay marriage legal would allow this to happen, since incest laws are for opposite sex members and lawyers would find this loophole. This is basically what she said. She never said gays are wrong, but she doesn't approve of same sex marriage. She did say she supports civil unions though. She also said most gays are atheist and hate God. I am atheist (I don't hate God, just don't believe in religion) ,but she doesn't know this. She said all marriage is is religion, and (my memory gets a little fuzzy after this) they shouldn't want marriage since it just has to do with religion or something like that. I said but marriage gives government benefits and she said civil unions do the same thing.

I wanted to tell her so badly, but I think it was wiser not to. This is the first time I've ever heard her, or anyone in my family talk about anything LGBT related. I don't know if she would be accepting, and I have absolutely no idea about what my dad would say. I tried to be careful about what I said in the truck because I never talk about this kind of stuff, and I didn't want to make her suspicious.

The conversation worried me, and I don't know what to do. I've wanted to be more open about liking girls, and hoped I could tell more friends at school, but with this reaction I'm more afraid of my parents finding out and not accepting me. I don't know, what do you guys think?

2. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, considering all my parents say about gays is "gays are disgusting and are going to Hell" your mom would definitely have a better reaction than mine. Also, of course she wouldn't completely agree with it, because she doesn't completely understand. It sounds like she would be able to accept it to me, but she probably wouldn't be exactly happy about it.