1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diana Ross and Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LabRat, Apr 6, 2013.

1. LabRat

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was out to my parents and siblings, and decided it was time to come out to the rest of the family. I have a younger cousin that for some reason I can't explain I have always felt may be gay so I wanted him to see that if he is, there is nothing wrong with it and the family would be fine with it if he came out. So I decided to come out on facebook where all the family can see, with a link to "I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross (because, well....why not?)
    Here's what I posted:

"So some of you already know this and I'm sure some won't be surprised, but it's time to burn the closet down. I'm not straight. I've suspected since I was about 13 that I wasn't like everyone else, and have known for sure since I was about 17. The problem was never being ashamed or scared (thanks to my parents I don't believe in being ashamed of who you are or afraid to stand up for yourself, they're too good as parents to instill that fear and insecurity in their children). The problem was just figuring out which label fit me. It was just easier to pretend to be straight then to figure out what exactly I am.
    I'm pansexual. This means that gender and/or gender identity do not factor in for me. It does not matter it someone is male, female, transgendered, etc. Who they are as a person is what matters. It's kind of an obscure term, I know, but basically boils down to "hearts not parts."I'm more than willing to answer any questions if anyone has any. Thanks to my awesome parents and kickass siblings, I'm completely comfortable with who I am and know that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm very lucky to have a wonderfully supportive, openminded, and loving family :slight_smile:
    As for the link to the video, I figured it was appropriate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:"

2. theMaverick

That's awesome!!! WAY TO GO!!!

3. The Dude

Wow, congratulations! It's awesome you had the courage to come out on facebook to potentially a ton of people. Way to be brave.

4. LabRat

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys :slight_smile: Nothing but positive responses so far (though for some reason I felt kinda embarrassed when an ex boyfriend liked the status. Don't understand why I felt like that but oh well, it didn't last long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't talked to my dad first, he's been the most accepting and most willing to discuss it. I needed his assurance that my mom wouldn't be embarrassed by it first if the entire family knew.
    Now the only people left to officially come out to are my classmates (though I think some already know).