1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Following through

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mylittlesecret, Apr 6, 2013.

1. I've just recently been able to admit my sexuality to myself. I've met a couple of men online who have been very supportive of me during this process of discovery. Whenever they ask if i'd like to meet for a drink, or a coffee, or just plain hangout, I freeze. Does anybody have advice on taking the plunge and meeting a man?

2. Sully

Be careful. That would be my advice, I've never done it, and I never intend to. Really depends if those people are just looking for a hook up.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While being careful, and after interacting with them for a while, you will get a sense of what they're about. If you do decide to meet them, do so in a public place and see what happens.

Best to also have made decisions beforehand about what you are willing to do and not willing to do and do tell someone where and when you will meet him. Be careful and safe in both cases!

#3 greatwhale, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Tokgay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've also had guys online asking to meet me, but I've always declined. For me it feels like that might not be the best way to meet someone. However, if you feel confident that they are really like they act online, then I suppose it isn't a problem.
    Just trust your instincts on this one!

5. Thanks for the advice. I guess the most intimidating thing about actually meeting up with a guy, even if it is just for a coffee, is that it is taking in the real world, rather than something in just my head. I feel comfortable with being gay is my own little private world, but I'm still very apprehensive about it taking place in reality. I hope that makes sense.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, scary stuff, but isn't just a bit exciting as well?

Does it not stir you to think that, finally, you can live out there in reality as you are on the inside?

7. Very, very much so. I love the idea of being out in the open with somebody. It gets kind of tiring hiding it all the time.