1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting someone from the internet...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cloud Nine 5, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Cloud Nine 5

You can see from my other posts how much I did nothing with being gay so I thought I'd do something crazy with it for once.... it's probably the first thing I didn't overthink that has something to do with being gay

I'm gonna go meet someone that I've been talking in the last 2 days, I'm gonna be around his place anyway, I'm not going just for him. We're meeting in a public place. He's around my age (He's 16, I'm 17).

I don't like that he doesn't have pics in his computer, that's weird. I'm basically going because I'm supposed to be there anyway... he never saw my pics too BTW.

2. Micah

Well if he didn't have pictures how are you supposed to recognize him? Don't be surprised if you're stood up, and don't accept messages from strangers "such as someone saying "Oh, gary said to meet him in my car out the back".

I'm sure you're well aware of the dangers etc involved, so just be smart and I hope it goes well for you :slight_smile:

3. Cloud Nine 5

I have his phone number. I'm the last person that would go meeting someone from the internet. Actually I had a nice talk with someone for a year or more on the internet, he was hot, very reliable, had pics, online camera, etc, and I always turned down his requests for meeting to the point he stopped asking. Too bad I never met him =/

I don't expect anything, nor would I go out of my way to meet him. It's just that he will be in a place I'm supposed to be at too, so it's whatever. Actually, I was already supposed to be there but I had different plans so I canceled him. I really don't take it that seriously but for a moment I was thinking what the hell was I doing so I posted this message. I should do something a little crazy with it for once but taht won't be it.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Just remember that not everyone you meet on the Internet is who they claim to be. Although he may well be exactly who he says, he may also be someone quite different, older with intentions that aren't the same as yours. The lack of pictures is the suspicious thing (though even if someone does send pictures they may not be of themselves).

So make sure you meet somewhere public and busy like a shopping centre, and also preferably somewhere where you can see him before you meet him. Then if he isn't what you expected you can get away safely. Ideally make sure someone knows where you're going and why, though that can be a bit awkward.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. Cloud Nine 5

I can't tell anyone about the meeting.. that I'm hooking up with a guy... for obvious reasons.

I didn't meet him but I will this week. It's probably the dumbest thing I've ever planned. It's not like we have those amazing conversations or anything, plus I can find many gay people online with pics. I have no gay friends and no one to talk to so I said why not. He's near my school anyway so I can meet him right after school. It will most likely suck. Maybe I'll cancel it?

6. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Hmm, I'd get his real name, phone number, and some pictures.. You might also look up the name on the phone number (via Google or similar) and run it by the sex offender's registry..

If you can't tell anyone where you are going, please at least leave a note in a spot someone might look if you go missing with all the details you have.

This person might be shy and honest, or they could be evil. Just be careful!

7. Cloud Nine 5

What's the sex offedner's registry? I have his first name and phone number. I met him on this dating gay website. The minimum age for registeration is 18 so his profile (and my profile) says the age is 18. A lot of older people say they're 18 (while they write in their details their real age) so when younger people are making a search for guys, they'll show up in the results.

So I sent him a private message there, he gave me his MSN address and I added him. He didn't answer back for a month even though I sent him a lot of messages, and then a month later he's like "hey, who are you?" and later "I didn't get any of your messages" which is impossible because I also sent him a message through that dating website he ignored.

He says he doesn't have pics, not that he's shy to post them, but honestly who can't get pics nowadays? There are cameras everywhere.

Anyway, that's just the bad stuff. I'm the one that suggested meeting. Before I suggested that, he told me I should go to some gay organizations if I wanna meet people like he did.

It sounds so dumb... I just liked how he was near my school and that I won't have to walk a lot to meet him, plus it's a semi-public place. I'm the least guilable person. Hmmm.. and thanks :slight_smile:

8. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Hmm, I guess the sex offender's registry is pretty much an American-ism.. So, I guess if you're not in the US then it might be hit or miss if your country has one.

If a person is commit of a sex crime, like rape and such, then they are required to put their name on a list. The list is made public and there are websites that anyone can search.

Hmm, from your description, it appears you might be better off finding a local group. Many groups pick their meeting locations based on bus routes and such so it's easy for people to get there without having to borrow the family car. You can try hitting up your local PFLAG and seeing what they're up to.

Good luck and stay safe!

9. PREP_x_C0RE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've done that before. I totally regret it now. It's not that he wasn't who he said he was or anything, he WAS. It was just that I didn't like him AT ALL when I met him. He was rude and a bit TOO forward. Like at one point the day of meeting him he started holding my hand and I had no idea what to do. I was too polite to take my hand away and tell him I just wasn't attracted to him. Finally a couple days later he asked me out and I finally said no.

The biggest mistake was introducing him to my friends. They all like him and he still hangs out with us and he annoys the crap out of me. Like every time he comes me and my best friend get in a fight over it. It's so stupid.

Basically what I'm trying to tell you DON'T do it. Like sure he can be who he says he is but you never know. You never know what will happen once you meet him.

10. Gaz89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dont think i could meet anyone from the internet for a date/sex, friendship then sure. Good luck though.

11. Cloud Nine 5

I met him and it really was horrible. Didn't help me at all. I wish I hadn't gone

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm sorry to hear that. (*hug*)

The best thing to do now is try to put it behind you, learn from it, and move on.

13. PREP_x_C0RE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well at least it'll be easy to forget him.. all you really have to do is block him from im's and ignore his calls. =]

Don't sweat it like Paul said just learn from it and move on.