1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CierraCadaver, Apr 6, 2013.

1. I have decided to write my parents a letter to explain me being a lesbian. I was just hoping I could get feedback on it.

Dear Mom and Dad,
    Hi. It's Cierra. Your daughter. The person you gave life too. The person who will always love you guys unconditionally and who only wants to make you proud. I'm pretty sure you already knew that but, it doesn't hurt to tell you again. Well, there's something I've been wanting to tell you and I really want to get it off my chest. Don't freak out! There isn't anything wrong with me. I just feel like it's time for me to say it.
    I'm a lesbian.
    Wow! I know! It's a lot to take in! Feel free to take a minute to breathe or re-read that line again. Whatever you do though, DON'T PANIC! I know you will have a lot of thoughts right now but just, let me explain myself.
    When I was about 9, I knew I was different. I was just, not like other girls. I liked boys yes. But, when I look back on it, I admired them. I wasn't physically attracted to them. I wanted to be LIKE them, not be WITH them. When I look back onto the girls, I always thought girls were so pretty. Then in middle school, I thought girls were just so beautiful. Now that I'm in high school, I realize that a relationship with another girl is what I want in y life. When I picture myself in a steady relationship, moving in with somebody, and eventually getting married, I picture me standing next to my beautiful future girlfriend.
    Another factor that makes coming out to you guys even harder is the fact that, I have come out to you before. As a pansexual. The reason I came out to you as a pansexual is because I knew that I liked girls and, I THOUGHT that a pansexual was what I was considered. But now, I KNOW that I am a lesbian.
    My biggest fear is that you two will dismiss this as a "phase" that I am going through and, that you won't take me seriously. But, you should take me seriously because, I am 110% positive that this is what I am. A proud, 15 year old lesbian.
    All I really want is to know that you both still love me and will support me in my endeavors, no matter who I fall in love with. I also want to know that you both understand fully that I am a lesbian and, nothing is going to change that because, being a lesbian isn't a choice I made. It is a characteristic that I was born with.
    I love you both so much and, that is never going to change

Sincerely,
    Cierra

2. theMaverick

How very brave of you! It sounds amazing. I can't think of anything I would change int.

3. Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

4. JPC

JPC Guest

I think this is definitely the way to go. I came out to my mother via email (sounds awful, I know). It's definitely easier to express everything that you're feeling and all that you want to get off your chest in writing. Plus it gives them more time to digest the information before you have to talk face to face.
    It's a really nice letter, good luck!

5. vani

vani Guest

So...so jealous

6. Thank you so much everybody. It means a lot to me. :slight_smile:

7. I appreciate all of the feedback so far. Anybody else?

8. The Dude

Hey! I really like your letter. You are a very brave, self-aware, proud 15 year old. You should be very proud of yourself, and so should your parents! I have a letter written out to my parents, but I haven't even considered giving it to them yet. Maybe after a few more friends find out.

How did your parents react when you came out as pansexual? Were they okay with that? Your letter is awesome and as long as you think they will be accepting then I don't really see a problem with the letter. As long as they knew what pansexual was, then they always knew that being with a woman was a possibility...now they will no for sure!

Some people on EC have given coming out letters, so if you're still not sure then maybe wait for some more advice. But don't change it too much, you want it to be your words and show your personality. Good luck when you give it to them, I hope it goes over well!

9. Thanks so much. :slight_smile: My dad was kind of nonchalant about me being a pansexual and, my mom was very accepting but, she just kind of dismissed it as something I would get over in a couple months. That is why I expressed my concern of them not taking me seriously. But, they weren't necessarily angry or unaccepting.

10. Sayu

Wow, it's great and I think they will understand that it's not a phase :slight_smile: When I came out to my Mum, it took a lot to assure her that it was not a phase and I'm still not sure if she understands it completely (but I'll give her as much time as she needs).

Btw., I don't want to sound like a grammar nazi, but "The person you gave life too." shouldn't it be "to" in the end? I'm not a native speaker, so I'm not sure, I just wanted to help in case that you will not hand-write, but print this thing (so that you don't have a mistake in it) :slight_smile:

Anyway, fingers crossed! (*hug*)

11. Lewis

Wish I could do the same, congrats!!

12. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :tears: I'd be crying if i was your parents just from the love you show in the letter.

Very beautiful n well written.

13. You are absolutely right! Thanks so much, I noticed a few typos but, I had skipped over that one!

14. rg93

The letter is really well written. If that doesn't catch your parent's attention (in a positive way) then you've got me :grin:

Go for it and tell us their reactions. :slight_smile: I wish you good luck!

15. piratealisonnn

That was beautifully written! Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

16. Goodness. Thank you all so much and, I will DEFINITELY tell you how it goes. :slight_smile: