1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like my Straight friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sly, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Sly

Sly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So yeah... these "I like my straight friend" stories are not new in this forum and I was hoping to recieve some advice. (*hug*)

For a little over a year now I've liked my friend. I've known him for over 6 years and these feelings haven't got to me until last year, in the beginning of high school school swimming season. I only saw him as a friend throughout middle school years and my first 2 years of high school. Currently, we are both juniors and I just can't stop thinking about him. I would consider myself "bi-curious," but maybe leaning more towards bi now. So anyways, when swim season started, I got to know him much more during swim meets as we sat together and talked through every single one of them. You can say I flirted with him A LOT. As the season went on, I decided that I needed to tell my girl best friend about this. She supported me and has given me so much advice I dont know how to thank her. She told me to just keep talking to him and get to know him better. There were many times where I felt like I couldnt hold it in anymore because I really wanted to tell him, but my friend stopped me from doing so, and that helped me so much more.
    So now a little about my friend, he's really quiet and and just "Wow". I think he is straight but who really knows. He has never had a girlfriend but has taken a girl to homecoming which when I found out, I kinda spazzed haha. I had asked him about that and he told me "it was just a one night stand" which kinda gave me relief ha. I see him as a best friend now because of how much I talk to him now. He is just perfect.
    I am currently hoping that he feels the way I feel..since I can't really type out all the stories and signs that I have noticed of him liking me back I will just bullet them.

-He has let me feed him like couples do
    -Has held my waist while walking (which shocks me till today ha)
    -Always smiles and waves when he sees me
    -Has "grabbed" my face like he was about to kiss me when I said my skin feels soft ha
    -Told me that if I ever needed help he would help me
    -Carressed my legs when I "jokingly" but them in his lap saying I needed more space
    -Took my phone, and I tried taking it back and he puts it at his crouch :lol:
    -Has gone to the movies and watched a school play with me when asked

That is all I can remember for now... but the thing that totally crushes is me is that he seems totally oblivious to how much I really like him. We dont have much communication outside of school as he really text and never gets on facebook. Over the past month, my feelings have grown stronger for him to the point I can't concentrate on anything.
    To make matters worse, my girl best friend had recently told me that one of my girl-friends( lets call her P ) has started to like this guy :bang: . Shes been hogging him a lot lately and I watch miserably because P is sorta in the same batch of friends as me and this guy. I really feel like its time that I told him... and I was planning on telling him tommorow. Any advice? :help:

Sorry if I made this post really confusing I kinda rushed this. :eusa_doh:
    Thank guys >.<

2. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

He seems to be flirting with you! I don't know many 'straight' guys who do these things. There might be a chance with him yet!

3. Xochipilli

Jeshus! You guys and your straight best friends. :icon_wink

It sounds flirty, but he could also just be really comfortable.
    Holding your waist though... :love:

I wish I knew what to tell you.
    I'm just going to echo what your cool friend has been saying.
    Keep talking to him, more reason to spend time together.

4. RaRa

My first reaction to reading titles like this is "RUN AWAY NOW!" but he does show promise.

I think you should just tell him. Right now it's hard to tell. Better to go through that awkward coming out to your best friend thing than torturing yourself playing the "is he or not?" game.

5. UndercoverGypsy

He sounds very gay, so come out to him. If he is straight, he sounds like he'd be accepting, and if he's not, there's a good chance he'll tell you if you come out to him first.

6. Sly

Sly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys for the advice :slight_smile: unfortunately I chickened out and just couldnt tell him :/ I think its due to the fact that after spring break, we havent talked a lot...my mind just tells me to not do anything... I dont know how to get him to have a one on one where I can just tell him x.x

7. UndercoverGypsy

"Hey, can I talk to you for a minute" should do the trick. It's definitely not easy to do, though. You could always talk to him after swim practice.

8. Sly

Sly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah that was my plan haha :/ im going to try tommorow >.< and sadly high school swimming ended and we swim for different clubs so thats not an option for me anymore :/

9. UndercoverGypsy

That sucks, man. Good luck!

10. RaRa

AHA!! I found you!!! Lol I remembered I had helped someone else on here...

Tell him already! He's into you. :slight_smile:

11. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bro, dont wanna put your hopes down...

my best friend (straight) and friends (straight) and i do all those things you listed...
    ive known these guys for years now and theyré like bro's to me so dont get too excited coz he might not feel the way for ya...

just saying man...straight guys arent affection to strangers but can be to close friends and i think that how he sees you ... a good friend its more like a bromance than anything

12. Jeff

I would not come out in the way you admit you like guys. I would come out in a way that says I like you (and think you are hot).

The choice of words is very important here. Because if you use the right words, you tell him exactly what you think and feel, but leave him feeling ok even if he is totally straight. if you use wrong words, then he will need to hit escape hatch.

So you must not label him gay or bi.

So saying that you really like him, and he is beautiful is better than saying I am gay, or you also?

Or asking if he has ever wanted to jerk off with another guy, is much better than asking him if you and him can be boyfriends?

Leave him a way to not end the friendship over this. I have been through this. Sometimes it is better to end the friendship, but I will let you decide that one.

13. UndercoverGypsy

Somehow I feel like "mate, you ever wanted to wank with a dude before?" would be just as awkward as the latter.

14. manoverboard09

That's so cute D:
    You're lucky to have a friend like that.
    Don't ask him if he's ever wanted to jerk off with another guy.. lol, that's just awkward. Might scare him off a bit.
    Does he know you're gay? Sorry if you said so in your first post, I skimmed through it.

15. Sly

Sly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ahaha I feel so thankful for you guys :slight_smile: I still haven't said anything because thats how scared I am, everytime we talk I always think "hmm... i'll tell him another day" because I get that really happy feeling haha. I am planing on calling him later today to ask if we could talk tommorow during lunch... funny thing is I've texted him before asking if I could tell him something and he acted really oblivious to what I had to say when the words I texted had a "i like you" feel lol.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 04:15 PM ----------

nope he doesnt know that I am bi for him ha

16. SebastianCroem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you should be very careful. Like, you could f''k up a really good friendship if he's really straight and reacts in a wrong way when you tell him.

Me and my exroommate were very close (he knew from the start that I was gay), and eventually I fell in love with him, knowing he was straight. He was constantly hugging me, like normal hugs, from behind, and sometimes he would hug me lift me and spin around for a while, ignoring my screams and commands to let me go. He flirted with me, "jokingly". We sometimes slept in the same bed. Etc.

Yesterday was probably the last day I would see him, and I didn't tell him, just to not ruin our friendship. Bullsh't. I fully regret not telling him.

Point is, even though you should be careful and try and not get hurt, you should also take the risk. Who knows, maybe he's into you.
    --I wish you the best of luck. :grin:

17. runaway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    *Cracks knuckles* This is my forte.
    So I'm assuming he doesn't know about your sexual orientation?
    I don't think you should jump to any conclusions yet but work on your friendship with him.
    I honestly believe your relationship is not quite there yet and you need to let him know that he is your best friend and hopefully in response he'll call you his best friend too.
    From this you can start to develop a real true friendship with him where you both do everything together.
    Start to text him more and have real deep conversations with him, about relationships or just anything! Don't be shy to initiate anything!
    Ask him to come over so you guys can have movie marathons , you could cook for him :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and just go out and do activities with each other. Talk to him on facebook, and just communicate with him a lot! Then eventually, even though he sees you as his best friend it'll reach a point where he'll think about you throughout the day and what youre up to, and he'll feel that he will miss you even though he doesn't see you for a day. Then you both can develop a real bromance with each other and that's where you begin to initiate some "moves". Spoon while watching movies or even just cuddle.
    After a few weeks or a month or two, hopefully he'll start to have feelings for you too.

OR

If you're really impatient, you could just come out to him with the risk of that he doesn't swing that way and your friendship because uncomfortable and awkward. OR it could go really well and that he could feel the same way and you guys can really hit it off from then!

It's completely up to you but i strongly suggest that you work on your friendship with him and build it up to the point where you guys became so close that you do everything together :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!!!
    Read this

18. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you ever end up talking to him? (I know this was a while back)
    How's everything going?

PS: @runaway: I just read a story on that page about two guys who fell in love with each other, possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever read :'(

19. Samael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the never ending story ...

Assuming that he knows about you being gay and citing RaRa: RUN AWAY NOW.

I've been through the same situation, in fact, I'm not over it yet.

The same situation, exactly as you describe, happened to me six months ago.

About 2 months ago, things began to increase, as we even slept together. I liked him so much that I did not care. We kissed, "slept" together, etc.., But He would always repeat the same phrase: I'm not gay.

One day, he became a drama, screaming that none of this should have happened, that I confused things (even though, like how you describe, the signs were there), that he was always very clear to me about not being gay (even though "slept" together), etc..

I was completely hurt. He even told me that the best thing I could do was to get away from him. And I did.

It costs a lot of work since he is my co-worker and I still feel something for him. But I value more my dignity and my emotional stability, and I don't want to be with someone who is not sure of his sexuality.

I'm not saying that these types of situations always end the same way, but is very likely it will, especially if he does not accept his sexuality.

Stay away. It hurts but its the best.

Otherwise: If he doesn't know you're gay and you're not sure about him, I think you should be honest and come out to him and tell about your feelings. If he says he's not gay, stay away from him.

Cheers!

#19 Samael, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  20. Sly

Sly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't know if people are still following this post, but as of now things are pretty chill. I decided to tell him in April and I thought I just made the worst mistake in my life. From April to like November, it was a really hard period to coop with because he ignored me yet pretended to care, so it seemed. He started to text me frequently near the end of the year and I had enough. I asked him why he was doing this and he gave me the most unexpected response. He explained that no matter what he did after that text to him, it would hurt me and so he decided to let everything settle down. He was actually worried for me during the period that I was really upset and actually tried to seek help without letting me know. There's so much more to tell, but to make things short, he was my best friend in the end. But I am still hurting because almost every week since his explanation, we've had so many arguments about the littlest insignificant things. In the end of all them, tears. Not all of them were tears of pain but understanding. But he is always the first one to say sorry for everything which makes me think if he actually is sorry or saying it to end the convo, which makes me feel bad yet angry.

Another thing that got me really thinking, we was when in the midst of a convo about my friend comforting me, I said "so basically your saying if I was a girl, things would be normal," he said "yes, its not your fault (etc.)" I feel like I would have a chance if I was a girl...I dont know if other people have had the same feeling. He continues to say if I need any help I could let him know. He continues to help me with problems and really tries to cheer me up. I think I am just trying to deal with disappointment and overcoming this.

My last problem I feel like I need to address is the fact that the way we text is completely different on how we act in real life, its like two different worlds. He seems so caring and sophisticated while texting, but in real life, its so awkward. When he talks to me in real life, hes really either excited about something and talks to me while looking me in the eyes or just really quiet, looking down, and sometimes distancing himself from me. I try my best to be very open to him and not get things awkward but idk. I still have the fear of being too annoying, which makes me stay quiet sometimes. I feel like if I got an inch closer, or made any physical contact with him (like a hug) , he would freak out.

I think one factor that really affects this whole situation is that he is christian, and he told me that his faith in God got him through his ups and downs. He specifically told me that one day if I choose, I will get through this and find myself a woman. And I will be able to treat her with the best care and will know what she wants and what she doesn't because I've experienced it. Idk. I dont really know who I am yet and I dont think he does either.

I want to hear what you guys think about this... I feel like I should just chill out and just continue my year without thinking of him anymore than a friend, but it's hard, really. Any advice would be helpful thanks :slight_smile:.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2014 at 04:50 PM ----------

Sorry for not replying to all these posts, I just read all these and still do really appreciate you guys for your advice and opinions :slight_smile:. sorry for the extremely late update