1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding the Strength and Courage at last!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noir, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Noir

I've been becoming so inspired--I can tell I've come such a long way and grown more as a person than I thought was even possible! And I haven't even been in college an entire year, yet! The burdens I've had for years weighing down on me don't feel so impossible for me to overcome anymore, and I feel like I finally know how to climb above them. As a result, I have concluded that I've become a strong enough person to:

Tell my mother when I think that she is being hurtful and that what she says was wrong without fear of being verbally abused or accused of "talking back"/ being "disrespectful" (JUST for confronting her on her rude behavior towards other members of the family).

Come out in the traditional sense to my awesome roommate and our neighbor that I'm a lesbian (I know they'll be cool with it, too!)

And come out in an emotional sense to my best friend--I think we are both ready and mature enough for me to tell her just how precious she is to me, and I think we are at a stable enough stage in our relationship that I can confront her and ask if she's ever felt attracted to me, too.

I'm so excited to tackle the things I've been running from for so many years, and I feel ready to take on the world (and it. Feels. AWESOME!! :thumbsup:)

2. JPC

JPC Guest

That's really great :eusa_clap I love seeing good news here! Congrats :slight_smile:

3. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm happy for you. Its always great to hear good news. I got the courage too. I finally came out to my sister tonight in a letter. (haven't heard back from her yet)
    I hope you're coming out goes well! I'm sure it will. :slight_smile:

4. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its great you've gained the courage to confront your mom about behavior you don't think is right. Once you are out it is a good feeling knowing you can be yourself and be comfortable doing so. Really hope everything works out with your friend.

5. lionel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Carefull about confronting your mother for her rudeness. Confront sounds aggressive . Rudeness sounds judgmental. People generally don't like hearing you think they're a holes, just be sure you know what you expect to gain from it before you " confront " her , may be better to accept her as flawed and move on . Keep well

6. Noir

Don't worry, I'm very careful in my approaches. I say "confront" because no one in my house has ever dared to call her on it before, so it's phrased that way because we're "confronting" the problem as opposed to "denying" the problem. She can say some shockingly hurtful things to all of us sometimes, and sometimes she just makes us lose respect for her because it's clear she doesn't always respect us.

She has such strange triggers where we wouldn't even think that it could be taken the wrong way, and she just starts calling us names and accusing us of horrible things like we're attacking her and disrespecting her. She will expect and want us to do things for her that she NEVER does for us, and she will make up feeble excuses like "I can't help what I feel," "Well, I was hungry," or "It just makes me frustrated." :dry: If we try excuses like that, we NEVER get away with it!

I feel that if we just shrug and say it can't be helped, then she will continue to think it is okay to act this way. I don't want our household to have the growing tension it's been accumulating because of this, and my siblings and dad agree that it's getting a little out of hand. I feel I am old enough to speak up when I feel I need to agree to disagree, though I'm not audacious enough to think I can speak to her as an equal.