1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 gay children?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skhal, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Skhal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone!

I have successfully been able to come out to my friends for the most part. I find that to be easy because they are pretty open minded an all that, but they aren't why I am posting this. I am posting this because of my family. You see, my older brother is openly gay and my family is perfectly fine with it. Having one gay son isn't that big of a deal, but two?! I know they would be ok with it but i... Just can't. I mean what are the chances of 2 gay sons? I have read people on other threads saying "talk to your brother/sister" but he and i aren't exactly best friends i can't imagine doing it or at least I don't know how. I honestly just don't know what to do i have been considering just not telling them at all, living out my days with them not knowing is that a bad idea? I could really use some advice.

2. JPC

JPC Guest

Actually, it really isn't that uncommon to have more than one gay child in a family. I've heard of loads of people who are gay and have gay siblings. I kind of understand what you're saying, but if your parents were open minded about your brother coming out, the chances are they'll be the same if and when you come out. You shouldn't spend forever forcing yourself to be something you're not just because your brother beat you to the punch, it would be really unhealthy and you'll almost certainly regret it.

3. theMaverick

A million times this ^^^^

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Heck, there's numerous people on even this forum that have gay siblings. Don't go thinking that you should just be gay without them knowing, that's just inflicting unneccary emotinal pain onto yourself.

5. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i know off one guy that all his siblings are either gay or bi and theres 5 of them....

6. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't hide it because your brother is gay. My sister is probably a kinsey 2. She has had relationships with women before and I am a lesbian. She isn't out to my parents though. But it is nice having someone to talk to who understands. If you and your brother don't get along I would recommend working on that. it doesn't happen overnight but having a good relationship with your family, especially siblings is so powerful. My sister is very immature and rude but I decided to love her and work on my relationship with her anyways and now she is also my friend.

7. Sully

You're only 16, it's never to late to start to be friends with your brother.

8. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are so lucky, take advantage X/ My older brother came out (kind of) my mom and step-dad and mom, and it's been a disaster. My mom had shut down, my Sdad pissed and freaking out, etc. That was months ago. They are super religious and whatnot, and think he will go to Hell if he "follows that path." They also think it's all in his head.

What's crazy is my mom only has 2 kids, me and my older bro (I have 10 siblings, but they are split up with my dad, mom, stepdad, and stepmom, my brother that is gay is my blood moms only other child) Sooo, I'm 15 and gay, and I have no idea how my parents will react when I come out, considering how they've already responded.

Yours are open to it! Like I said, take advantage.

9. Phenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's so very common! The girl I just broke up with had one brother who was gay also. I also know a lady here in town that has two gay children.

I would strongly suggest getting to know your brother more and let him know. You two may not be great friends now but I would bet more than likely this would bring you two closer together. If it doesnt then your not really any worse off. Good luck!

10. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know how you feel though, not any part of me feels like I can approach my brother on the subject.