1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ImaginativeName, Apr 8, 2013.

1. ImaginativeName

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is my first post on here, i don't really know where to begin. I'm 14, and I recently realized that I'm a lesbian, but i don't know if I should come out. Not only am I unsure of how my parents will take it, but a couple of my friends have also come out this year, and I don't want them to think I'm only coming out because it's "cool" or something. Should I come out, or should I wait? My parents are also religious, and I'm really afraid that they'll think it's just a phase, or get really upset with me. Also, how exactly should I come out? I know they won't take it well if I walk up and say "Oh hey, I'm a lesbian, just thought you should know." I really want to come out to my parents, but I'm scared that they won't accept me.

2. lexi

lexi Guest

Start by bringing up homosexual things around your parents. Make a joke about it, mention one of your friends coming out, or just simply ask their opinion on it. It's always good to get a feel for what they think about it before you come out. Then, as long as you don't think they'll kick you out or stop loving you or something, it's probably best to be honest with them. You should consider whether you want to talk to both of them at once, or pick one who you think will receive the news best and tell them first.

Do you have siblings?

Don't worry about your friends- if they're really your friends they'll support you :slight_smile:
    You can either talk to them (just tell them, or ask them how they came out to their parents as a conversation starter) or just put it on Facebook or something (change your interests to females, I wouldn't post a status)

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and Welcome To EC

im almost twice your age and havent come out to my rentz... like yours, mine are religious and are anti gay... i thought my mom being a flight attendant and all would be alright with it coz there's heaps of gays who work with her but she isnt... she'll speak to them but wont hang out with them outside of work unless theyre on a lay over etc...

i have many friends but only out to my best mate and his gf... my friends are anti gay and big homophobes... so based on my situation i dont think i can come out or else i'd be a loner...

sounds like your friends are cool with it and like what Lexie said if they're your true friends they wont think your following a trend... as for your parents only you know them well enough to judge what they will say ... if theyre anything like mine then i personally wouldnt put it past them... your friends will have you back and im sure of that... i dont even have that as my best mate is over in the US... so im a frequent visitor to EC as you'll notice im on almost all threads lolzzz