1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to come out to some.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beachgoer27, Apr 9, 2013.

1. beachgoer27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I recently came out as being a Lesbian to a majority of my friends, and very few co-workers. My friends have been amazing. Super supportive, and assuring me they love me no matter what my sexual preference was.
    I recently started testing out the waters with my co-workers. The couple of co-workers I have told have been cool about it. However, I asked a co-worker what they thought about gay people and it wasn't positive at all. That part didn't bother me, but a few of them jokingly will say things like "Thats so gay!" and playfully call eachother "Fa**ot" and say a lot of other anti-gay remarks. I silently do nothing when they do this. Sometimes I'll try and laugh with them. Its such an uncomfortable situation. I honestly have no clue what to do. It's only gotten worse with them. They don't say anything to me like this, of course. But, its still very uncomfortable. Advise? :bang:

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all Welcome to EC

i would talk to them that there jokes and name calling is getting to you... even though, they're not addressing you personally but it still hurts hearing it... and if they ignore it.. .then i would go to the managers and have a word with them...

3. beachgoer27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I decided to talk to another co-worker about how they feel about gay people again. What he said was "Well, when I see a Lesbian, I think "What a Waste" but when I see a gay man, I want nothing to do with them." Wow! I had no idea I was working at such a close minded establishment. Think i'll stay in the closet a little longer there... :dry:

4. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Yeah, there's a law against creating a hostile workplace environment. It's considered a form of harassment.

If you fell up to it, I say stand up for your rights.

5. beachgoer27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    wrhla You are right. I've been thinking that these last few days, and I am trying to work up the courage to telling people who I really am. I just need to do it! They can't do anything to me, and its about time I stand up for me. =)

6. jazzhands

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you work up the courage to come out to them, I bet they'll be pretty embarrassed by their behaviour. And, most importantly for you, stop. I find a lot of the time people say "That's so gay" with *zero* awareness for how it comes off. Help them burst out of their straight bubble!