1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my therapist, in the 45 minutes, she helped a lot... what now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Apr 9, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was scared. So scared I couldn't even say I was gay, I had to write it down. I told her that I don't exactly trust my mother, she asked why, I said to say why I'd have to tell a deep secret. I asked her multiple times what she would tell my mother, she said they typical stuff "Self harm, harm to others" that's pretty much it. After she pried the clipboard from my hands (I told her she'd have to do that) I cried into my hands for about 5 minutes. She swore she wouldn't tell my mother, but for some reason, I felt that she thought less of me. She didn't show it, like at all, but I just felt it. She gave me this copy of my personal bill of rights, things like I have a right to happiness and such. She said I had a right to be happy, even sexually, it just felt weird hearing it come from somebody as old as my mother.

I don't know where to go from here. I don't know why, but I worried all day.

There are two things she said that I took right away, she said she noticed I do this thing she calls "Survival Breathing" which is just breathing enough to survive, shallow and not deep, she said to take time to relax and take deep breaths in the morning, lunch time, and before bed. And do stretches in the morning and evening. She said that they're supposed to help me relax.

She asked what I do to relieve stress, I told her I like to write. Which I do, I type and save them to the hard-drive, she explained how that's not secure. She said to save them to a USB drive, so after I got home I looked online and found a flash drive/necklace. It's secure, most secure you can get. I explained that I like writing to my mom and she said she never knew. I can also store other things on there, it looks really cool too.

But anyway, I don't exactly know what to do now...
    It's like, what now, I just felt kinda weird having gotten it off my chest, not sure f it was relief or peace, it's something I haven't felt in a long time.

[​IMG]

(Sorry about the really large photo, I don't know how to re-size it from amazon's photo viewer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

#1 MtnFr3sh, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. RainbowMan

Geez that photo is huge! I had to scroll t ojust read your message it made it so wide!

I love that necklace! I used to have (still do actually, but it's busted so useless except for being on my keychain and looking cool) one of these. I'm not sure why it broke, but no computer will recognize it. Of course, being on my keychain it gets a lot of abuse, and the contacts aren't covered (it comes with a little plastic thing to cover them, I lost that in like 2 seconds :grin:)

But congrats on coming out to your therapist. That's a big step, and I don't think that she thought less of you. If anything, she'd think more of you for it I think.

#2 RainbowMan, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You're probably right, it might have just been my paranoia. I also had a moderator fix that huge image with a smaller version :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also don't think your therapist thinks less of you for being gay. She may be in a bit of shock, though, because she was expecting one set of issues, only to get another.

Anyway, congratulations!

As for your writing, there are ways of saving to a regular hard drive and having it secure. I run Linux here, and I can have my whole home directory encrypted if I so desire. But...I don't have a mom who might insist on going poking around, either.

One small thing: I'd urge you not to rely only on that USB flash drive. Any computer component can fail. Thus you should have at least one backup solution, either another USB flash drive, or else look into something Internet based.

I do a lot of writing. At the least, I use the hard drive (no mom to worry about here!), and back up to a flash drive I carry. The flash drive is encrypted so if it's lost, no one can read anything.

5. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I'm sure your therapist didn't think less of you because you are gay. She probably thought you came to therapy for an entirely different reason, so she was likely just surprised.
    It took me months to tell my therapist and she was quite shocked. I worried about it between when I told her and the next therapy session, but it turns out she was totally fine with it. The thing is therapists are paid to listen to your problems. Being gay is probably nothing compared to some things other clients have told her.

6. Dalmatian

Hey, congrats on coming out :slight_smile: Through all the emotional chaos, you managed to think, speak and act rationally, doing what you wanted even though it scared you. Well done, you should be proud of yourself :wink:

What now? Well, now a cool-down :slight_smile: You came out, that's a huge step. With this much of a shock there's bound to be an anticlimax now that you are returning to the mundane. That's ok, don't worry. Take a deep breath and enjoy the moment.
    Next time (if this wasn't a one-time deal), you can talk to her some more about this. When you calm a little, when the emotional storm of the day subsides, you can start thinking about maybe talking to someone else as well. But for now, job well done :slight_smile:

I wouldn't worry about her being maybe cold or unresponsive. You know, it's her job. It maybe wouldn't really be very professional if she hugged you, although maybe you would have expected something like that. Therapists should not let people get emotionally dependent on them.

As for the USB stick, that's cool, but a pretty safe thing could also be to simply use web-based storage. Write in Google Docs or anything similar and only you can access it. But if you want a cool necklace holding all your secrets securely right there where everyone can see it, I understand that too :slight_smile:

7. B06SAJ1a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds like your therapist cares a great deal about you and recognizes what you're going through. She seems to hold to the principle that you need some privacy right now and is helping you to establish that (e.g., the flash drive). I don't think that she's ashamed at all of you and it sounds like she's totally prepared for this. My slim advice is to stick with her. Good for you for having the courage it takes to do this. We're all with you.