1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sapphy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Sapphy

I'm finding it really hard coming out to my extended family. I am quite feminine/girly, so there are no indicatives that I might be gay. I'm almost certain they've never even considered it, despite the fact I get the "Don't you have a BF?" question all the time and tell them that I don't all the time.

I have had a girlfriend for the past ten months and she has been so patient and understanding, even though she is out to all of her family, including extended.
    In saying that, I don't want her to feel I'm not serious about us or that I'm ashamed of her and us as a couple.

Broad question, but how do I do it? I considered bringing her to a family party and letting people work it out for themselves, but I'm still not sure. I'm not brazen enough to answer the boyfriend question with "no, but I do have a girlfriend", I only wish I was! :eusa_doh:

2. RaRa

How extended we talking?

If its your cousin's husbands brother's sister in law's moms cousins son, its not really a big deal is it? :slight_smile:

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @ RaRa, think she meant her aunts/uncles/cousins etc...

@ Sapphy... do you know what your family's view is on being gay and all? coz that would determine whether or not your ready to come out now...

thats the only reason i aint out... my friends are homophobez and my family are too religious and bible bash any gay they see ...

4. Sapphy

Thanks for replies.

I do have a rather large extended family, ten aunties/uncles and over fifty cousins/second cousins. From what I know, there aren't any homophobes, they're all pretty open minded. I suppose that's why I'm not sure of myself and where the worry is stemming from, but I do suppose it's natural.

I think they would probably be slightly shocked, but would come around to the idea eventually. I'm almost positive (or hopeful) that they wouldn't treat me any differently. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only gay in such a large family! It would be easier if I had an older gay relative, then I could gauge who's cool with it and who's not.

Sorry to hear those around you are like that, Winfield. It makes me really sad we can't just be the people we are.